Ol' Brown Ears is Back..speculation

Aaron

Reaction score
I woner what the purpose was for these tracks when they were recorded in 1984. Perhaps Jim wanted to bring Rowlf back to stardom?

eleneezdad

Reaction score
This may be my favorite non-soundtrack Muppet CD ever, in part because I think Jim's singing voice is at its musical best as Rowlf. I bought it when it first came out -- the same year I graduated from college as I recall -- and it's been frequently in my players ever since.

My speculation for the original recording is just that Jim wanted to record some of his favorite songs with nice arrangements in a voicing that seemed fairly natural for him. But I wasn't aware there was a 10-year gap before it was released. I wonder if the company didn't see a real market opportunity until after Jim's passing. Good post and good question, Aaron.

Speed Tracer

Reaction score
This is my favorite Muppets album. I personally just think Jim wanted to spend a little time with Rowlf.

Kermieuk

Reaction score
I think that like many recording artists, lots of stuff gets made but doesnt get released. One recent example is Kylie Minogue's new Album 'X', over 30 songs were wrote and recorded but only a dozen or so make it to the final album, a few others make it to the B-SIDE of singles released, the rest go to the archives, and fans only hope they one day get released in the future! Im sure the Henson archives are full of stuff that have never been seen or made public, thankfully, for us this album did see the light of day!

It was never released in the UK but I managed to get one imported, Its a great album.

Chris

uppitymuppity

Reaction score
I've never heard it and have desperately wanted it but it is always 50 dollars or more on Amazon. :sympathy:

Mistersuperstar

Reaction score
I've wondered if they were the basis for television spots for Rowlf on another Muppet program. They usually put a musical soundyrack down before they mimed to it with the puppet character when filming the show. They may have just been recorded with the hope of adding them to future Muppet albums that never saw the light of day. I wonder if any other of Jim's characters were recorded during the same era? There may be some unheard Kermit or Dr Teeth tracks hidden away somewhere!

Mistersuperstar

Reaction score
I've never heard it and have desperately wanted it but it is always 50 dollars or more on Amazon. :sympathy:
It is a great CD if you can find it but I have always thought that the orchestration kinda overpowers the original vocal and piano performances. It would have been nice to hear the original recordings instead.

theprawncracker

Reaction score
Hey uppity, if you want, drop me a PM with your e-mail address and I can send you MP3s of all the songs on the album. :smile:

Kermieuk

Reaction score
Hey UppityMuppity,

Just tried to send you a PM , but it says that you have blocked or are not allowed Private Messages, try and send me one when you can.

Chris