Official: Elmo’s Staying Up Late Show coming to HBO Max on May 27, 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.

antsamthompson9

Reaction score
I think that sounds interesting. Ryan is a great improviser just like Kevin, so I think giving Elmo a talk show would be great to let his comedic abilities shine. I also hope we'll see the other characters as the crew, like Cookie Monster could do craft services, Big Bird could be Elmo's sidekick, Prairie Dawn could be the director and so on. I'd like to see people like Jimmy Fallon or Wendy Williams be guests, so Elmo would be interviewing them for a change.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
In a way, I feel like this is kind of like a step or two back for SS. Elmo was so big and so popular for so long, that in recent years (Kevin's issues not withstanding), things were gradually starting to quiet down a little bit, and other characters began to receive more, overdue, yet well-deserved time in the spotlight, such as Grover, Cookie Monster, Ernie and Bert, and others . . . in a way, I guess you could say that the main focus for everything Sesame-driven wasn't solely Elmo anymore. This, on the other hand, almost feels like they're just defaulting back to that - even though really Elmo is pretty much the only SS Muppet who could really pull something like this off, that much I can say.

That being said, I also don't see why HBO is excluding this only to streaming. Why can't they broadcast this on their actual channel since they already do with SS?

datman24

Reaction score
Well, to quote Johnny Bravo, "I am sickened, but curious." I wish they would have gotten someone like Cookie Monster, Oscar, or Grover (or any other muppet with more than one emotion) to host this kind of show, but I am interested to see how they pull this off. I'm thinking his guests will probably consist of letters, numbers, fairy tale characters, and whatever A-list celebrities they can get their hands on. The other core cast of muppets will probably be his staff or something, but hey, this is all just my own speculation.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
See, my feelings are kind of the opposite: despite Elmo's constant state of happiness and such, his personality is such that he can kind of adapt to almost any kind of situation, scenario, or setting, while still remaining in-character and endearing as always . . . he can feel "real" with people. As much as I love Cookie Monster, Oscar, and Grover, they don't quite have the layered personalities to really pull off something like this, IMO . . . I suppose Oscar could be an even grouchier version of Letterman when he was younger, but Cookie Monster (especially David Rudman's more childlike Cookie Monster) doesn't quite have the engaging people skills, and as much as Grover has been arguably Flanderized in recent years, I can't see any talk show he attempts to host not end up a disasterous trainwreck . . . it might make for an amusing one-shot special (a la THE FANTASTIC MISS PIGGY SHOW), but the schtick would get really old, really fast for an episodic series.

Oscarfan

Reaction score
I'm 90% certain that's what they're seen shooting in this:

I mean, this seems like an innocuous side-thing like Play With Me Sesame; it won't be a new tentpole program or replace the old show. It'll be a fun little thing exclusive to the new streaming platform, not unlike "Muppets Now" will be.

Oscarfan

Reaction score
Also, it turns out this wasn't supposed to be announced yet; keep an eye out in a few weeks then.

mbmfrog

Reaction score
Well, to quote Johnny Bravo, "I am sickened, but curious." I wish they would have gotten someone like Cookie Monster, Oscar, or Grover (or any other muppet with more than one emotion) to host this kind of show, but I am interested to see how they pull this off. I'm thinking his guests will probably consist of letters, numbers, fairy tale characters, and whatever A-list celebrities they can get their hands on. The other core cast of muppets will probably be his staff or something, but hey, this is all just my own speculation.
Sadly Isn't that what Sesame Street in the 2000's use to be...just the Elmo and Friends show ?

LittleJerry92

Reaction score
It’s just an excuse to milk Elmo to death even more. Short answer.

Status
Not open for further replies.