Official: “Muppets Now”, an unscripted series coming to Disney+ on July 31, 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.

DMHFan

Reaction score
I did read an article that stated the original Muppet Show is coming next year sometime, along with some of the Marvel stuff that's currently on Netflix and elsewhere.

So, at least for the US, we're only missing Muppets Tonight and the original Muppet Show.
Where's the article that says that The Muppet Show (1976-1981) is coming next year? I'd like a link.

WebMistressGina

Reaction score
Where's the article that says that The Muppet Show (1976-1981) is coming next year? I'd like a link.
Ugh, of course I now can't find the exact article (as I read it weeks ago when the site was first launching) and now I can't find anything about what is upcoming. I do remember, as mentioned, that some of the Marvel stuff that's on other sites (ie Netflix) was coming to the site (Thor Ragnorak, Incredibles 2, Jessica Jones, etc) and I remember seeing TMS, which made me want to actually sign up (cause YouTube only has a few episodes, but not all I believe)

I do now that I did NOT see the new Muppets Now listed, so this - for me - is actually something new.

EDIT - did a history and closest I got was an article from CNET from 11/16, but I know I was checking up on Disney+ before that, but I may have cleared the cache.

EDIT2 - apparently I'm not the only one; someone on Reddit also saw the same article (which I guess was months, not weeks ago), but also can't find it. I even checked Hangouts and history and no go and I swear I saw it cause that was what pushed me into getting the free trial and possibly pay for it if TMS was coming.

EDIT3 - cause this was really irking me, I did find an incomplete list of what is not on Disney+ and the reasons why; again, Marvel stuff is cause it's elsewhere, but there is mention of TMS and MT, but for some unknown reason, they aren't included in Disney's launch, which for the Muppets and their TV series based on their cartoons (ie Aladdin) actually doesn't make any sense what so ever.

https://www.reddit.com/r/DisneyPlus/comments/dijn3a

Last edited:

DARTH MUPPET

Reaction score
Correct me if I am wrong guys,
Josh Gad originally had a show planned for Disney Plus titled Muppets Live a Scripted show about the Muppets but the writers and Gad had creative differences with Disney and the show was scrapped so Disney hatched up Muppets Now an Improv Muppets show that's slated to air in 2020 is all this correct mostly? i just pieced it all together from articles on Google...

MuppetSpot

Reaction score
Correct me if I am wrong guys,
Josh Gad originally had a show planned for Disney Plus titled Muppets Live a Scripted show about the Muppets but the writers and Gad had creative differences with Disney and the show was scrapped so Disney hatched up Muppets Now an Improv Muppets show that's slated to air in 2020 is all this correct mostly? i just pieced it all together from articles on Google...
Basically that along with the Muppets executive producer stepping down recently which canceled the Josh Gad project

DARTH MUPPET

Reaction score
Basically that along with the Muppets executive producer stepping down recently which canceled the Josh Gad project
I thought Disney just downsized when they acquired 20th Century Fox so basically everything from Lucasfilm, Marvel, Pixar, 20th Century Fox, and The Muppets all had layoffs.

MuppetSpot

Reaction score
I thought Disney just downsized when they acquired 20th Century Fox so basically everything from Lucasfilm, Marvel, Pixar, 20th Century Fox, and The Muppets all had layoffs.
That wasn’t an a layoff on her, she formally left the company. And a newer executive executive in which resulted in projects getting canceled

Grumpo

Reaction score
@DARTH MUPPET -- here's what i dug out for the Muppets Live Another Day thread:
Interesting fact, the Muppet Studio management has completely changed in 2019.

Kyle Laughlin, the former head of Disney Consumer Products Interactive Labs (DCPI Labs), and thus of Muppets Studio (2014-2019), executive producer of ABC muppets (2015), and the only General manager to fire Kermit, went to Amazon to make Alexa gadgets in January 2019.

Then Muppet Studio along with the whole Disney Consumer Products and Interactive Media became part of Disney Parks, Experiences and Products division in a March 2018 company reorganization.

Debbie McClellan, who was well respected in muppet world for her work on every Muppets project from Muppets from Space (1999) up to the Muppets Live Another Day (2019,rip), former VP of Muppets Studio (2004-2019), left in May 2019, and was replaced by David Lightbody of Disney Parks Live Entertainment.

David has made quite a career in Park management and live performances, which may be why he requested the Muppets series to move in a different direction, which made Josh Gad and the rest of the creative team to abandon the project.

Well, Muppets Now is still better than nothing. =) Let's see where life takes the Muppets next.

Last edited:

Blue Frackle

Reaction score
#BringSongOfTheSouthAndMuppetsOnWheelsToDisney+

Do you think we can get this trending?

WebMistressGina

Reaction score
#BringSongOfTheSouthAndMuppetsOnWheelsToDisney+

Do you think we can get this trending?
I would rather get the original Muppet Show than Song of the South (though I did enjoy the movie) or Muppets on Wheels. I'm also not a 6 year old child, so the last one is irrelevant to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.