New zoo review dvd

baby sinclair

Reaction score
My goodnezz i cant belive this show is on dvd.Guess what in season sets C'mon gimme a break HIT if this show gets this kind of treatment then why not Fraggles or any other great henson shows and specials they have rights to.If they can release a 5 Barney dvds a month i know FRAGGLES and all the others could be dished out on a monthly basis also.Also Disney me and my fellow muppet fans would also like to see a uncut version of Muppet Family Cristmas on DVD and dont give us lame excuses like you cant afford the fines.Disney is one of the biggest movie companys on earth so DONT EEEVEN........!Any one else here upset about thes cheap shows being put on air yet hardly any HENSON stuff out their.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I think the reason that this show is on DVD is because the rights are really cheap. I mean, they aren't the most well know property (or most beloved for that matter). Whereas Fraggles get a harder sell because their rights are much more expensive. As much as we'd all love to think things fly onto DVD, most properties sit rotting on old tapes in a box in someone's basement because of legal red tape. This also explains why Bullwinkle and Rocky are on DVD, but not Hoppity Hooper or George of the Jungle, as they are tied up with copywrites.

Also, Parents just love to buy Barney tapes to shut their little babies up instead of actually parenting in the first place. Therefore, they sell better, and the venture is well established and profitable (Unfortunately....) Fraggles seems risky, since they want to make them for a children's market, dispite the fact more adults would want them.

With that said, I don't see why anyone would have even bothered with New Zoo Revue. It's not that good a show. It has its moments, but I've seen it (on a UHF station that airs home shopping club, to fulfill it's daily allotment of Children's broadcasting) and it's pretty much better forgotten. The puppetry looked pretty ugly. I mean, I doubt any kids would want to see anything of that caliber. 'specially how frightning that Hippo looks.... Personally, I always looked at this as a cheap way to cash off of Sesame Street back in the 70's. A ripoff. Since SS did so much better in every aspect (puppetry, acting, music) it's no wonder why it's so forgotten. But if you're happy, I'm happy!

JaniceFerSure

Reaction score
It's the New Zoo Revue!

Here's a quote from IMDB:
Ah yes, who could forget Freddie the Frog, Charlie the Owl and Henrietta Hippo teaching wholesome values to us kids growing up in the 70s, with the help of their hippy-dippy human counterparts Doug and Emmy Jo! I actually saw an episode broadcast sometime over the Christmas holidays on a low-power Indiana tv station (picked up by AT&T Broadband cable for the Chicago area): it was the episode where Freddie broke Henrietta's window with a baseball and ate her special diet cookie (gasp!). They had a trial and everything! And let's not forget the musical numbers; Emmy Jo's singing voice was tinnier than I had remembered, but the 70s wardrobe (complete with go-go boots!) made up for that. Believe it or not, there are actually 3 or 4 DVDs now available of New Zoo Revue episodes; and if that isn't enough, do a search on eBay and you just might find (among other things), record albums, figurines and ViewMaster reels! Now all I'm waiting for is a NZR reference to pop up on "That 70's Show" (and if it does, I want credit for giving you guys that idea!!!)

I watched the show,didn't like it nor hate it.This show over quality shows like afore mentioned like FR or to me TMS,Classic SS;just because it's 'cheaper' to produce? :crazy: :boo:

Drtooth

Reaction score
They eyes of the puppets, thouh... scariest thing on them. When the hippo sits down, her pupils are invisable, but her bubble eyes aren't... looks creepy.

All and all, the worst bits for me (besides the really ugly costumes and bad puppetry) were the 2 requisite human characters and the absolutely forced bad musical numbers.