New Justice League cartoon CONFIRMED

Drtooth

Reaction score
While some rumblings and rumors have been speculated, WB Animation has finally announced it's "Justice League Action" series with Kevin Conroy and Mark Hamil confirmed as Batman and the Joker, respectively (and I thought Hamil retired from the Joker role... how great is it to have him play his 2 most iconic roles again?). Also on tap, James "OOH! Piece of Candy" Woods is to play Lex Luthor while Diedrich Bader is to play Booster Gold. The series is 11 minutes each, which I have yet to see an episode if its a good or bad thing.

I, for one, am glad there's finally new a DC comics cartoon out there besides TTG. The way Cartoon Network torpedoed the success of others based on toy sales and lack of toy lines.

Pig'sSaysAdios

Reaction score
Uh oh,only eleven minutes each. Sounds like we may have another "Teen Titans Go!" on our hands.

Last edited:

mr3urious

Reaction score
Obviously this won't be set in the DCAU, which I'm fine with as they're pretty much concluded that over a decade ago in Justice League Unlimited. And I am liking the voice cast used, especially with Kevin Conroy and Mark Hamill reprising their iconic roles. But the 11-minute run times don't seem very plot-friendly for this type of show.

And I hope they get to use Plastic Man again, as he was only mentioned in JLU because WB was planning on making a movie of him or something so he was forbidden to be used at the time, so the writers had to settle for Elongated Man.

I, for one, am glad there's finally new a DC comics cartoon out there besides TTG.
Not of you count the DC Super Hero Girls web shorts, which are based on a line of fashion dolls co-created by Mattel.

Uh oh,only eleven minutes each. Sounds like we may have another Teen Titans Go on our hands.
I highly doubt it's going to be like TTG where the whole cast are a bunch of sociopathic morons that act like hyperactive toddlers. The 11-minute thing is more for budget, I'm sure, though at least they're using a larger voice budget this time around.

Pig'sSaysAdios

Reaction score
Well I guess if Adventure Time and Steven Universe can pull off telling great stories in just 11 minutes maybe this show can too.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Not of you count the DC Super Hero Girls web shorts, which are based on a line of fashion dolls co-created by Mattel.
If the web counts, there's also a series of 3 minute shorts (that make up the runtime of a short DTV movie) featuring the "Super Friends."

It's pretty good, actually. I almost kinda wish this was a series. Goku does the voice of Hawkman and Kid Muscle does the voice of Bizarro.

But as a television animated series, TTG is the only DC animated series. And even then...long critique short, half the time it feels like it could be any five comedic sociopaths acting like Peter Griffin for 11 minutes. Meanwhile there's, like, what... 5 live action DC universe TV shows? One even runs against another (Gotham and Supergirl). They want to build the same screen presence that Marvel has (which is a big mistake that could wind up hurting both of them), and at least 2 DC movies are scheduled for this year. And yes, they still have their DTV DC comics movies for both comic fans and kids. Just haven't had a cartoon besides TTG since they torpedoed Beware the Batman. And as much as that still sucks, the last Batman cartoon lasted 65 episodes because it managed to be accessible for kids, all the while giving thoughtful nods to the character's rich mythology. Not to mention that it gave a nice platform for more obscure characters, some who would never be featured otherwise.

Well I guess if Adventure Time and Steven Universe can pull off telling great stories in just 11 minutes maybe this show can too.
While I am a little concerned about the shortened time, it was a brilliant move. CN really doesn't like half hour shows. TF:RID is shoved all the way at 6:30 on Saturday Mornings. Be Cool Scooby-Doo disappeared from the schedule and only exists weekly on Boomerang (remember that Scooby is WB's cash cow franchise). Meanwhile Wabbit at least has a weekday at noon slot. If a 11 minute Justice League can happen (there were 11 minute Super Friends cartoons), they'd probably give it more room on their schedule.

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Actually, TF RID airs at 6:30 AM every day, not just Saturdays. On the weekdays it's preceeded by episodes of Regular Show.

The only day of the week not taken up with a live-action DC show is Friday, and that's because NBC derailed Constantine, which my real-world friend laments. At least the actor who portrayed Constantine got folded into this year's season of Arrow. Ironic you have Batmanish elements and characters popping up in Arrow when you have Gotham taking place over on Fox instead.

As for this new animated series. James Woods as Lex Luther? So that's why he's not going to portray Hades in Once Upon a Time's Season 5's second half. Personally, if we can get Kevin Conroy and Mark Hamil reprising their famous Bat-roles, then why couldn't they get Clancy Brown to reprise his role as Lex? This series probably won't premiere until the fall knowing how CN likes to tease the heck out of new upcoming series, and then it'll wreck the schedule fitting it into a rotational/permanent spot in the afternoon the same way TTG has become their focal anchor. *Shrugs.

Drtooth

Reaction score
The only day of the week not taken up with a live-action DC show is Friday, and that's because NBC derailed Constantine, which my real-world friend laments. At least the actor who portrayed Constantine got folded into this year's season of Arrow. Ironic you have Batmanish elements and characters popping up in Arrow when you have Gotham taking place over on Fox instead.
Must I make the obvious Muppet joke?

I must.

I couldn't get into Constantine because I hate how they turned the character into a human without an over the top Russian-ish accent.

Haw haw...

cuz the names are the same?

I applaud DC's efforts to make live action series for older audiences (demographically speaking of course), but it really feels the only reason TTG is the only DC kid's show on television is because the network is in a major comfort zone. The Batman Unlimited movie series really feels like it could have been a TV series. I haven't seen much of these to make a judgement, but I'm loving Master Shake as Penguin (he also plays him in the aforementioned Super Friends Webshorts). They have this weird thing about not having all the shows on the schedule at once, which I don't get. I love their shows, but I'm not a fan of the line up. And would it kill them to not play a Wimpy Kid movie every weekend?

If the series has to subside on an 11 minute runtime, I won't mind if it means it'll be part of a weekday or recurring line up. It's a shame that their last Tom and Jerry cartoon was meant for that runtime, but was only seen in half hour blocks, meaning they just burned off the episodes a summer ago.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Seems there's been more information released at a licensing Expo

Plastic Man! YEAH!

Glad to see that, while he was screwed out of his own cartoon, Plas has been seen in more DC animated projects since he appeared as one of the many super hero team ups in Batman: Brave and the Bold. Even popping up in a Lego Batman DTV special. Seriously... they need to make blind package DC universe characters the way they have Disney and Simpsons. But that's besides the point.

Nothing else has been revealed yet. Hopefully Tom Kenny gets to perform Plas again.

Drtooth

Reaction score
You know, it really speaks to Cartoon Network management that the McDonalds Justice League Action Happy Meal tie in comes out before the show's even scheduled to air.