Need puppet wigs

P

Princeton

There's a couple craft stores near me but none of them have a decent selection of puppet wigs. Can anyone help me?

ravagefrackle

Reaction score
Princeton said:
There's a couple craft stores near me but none of them have a decent selection of puppet wigs. Can anyone help me?

You cant really buy puppet wigs, you might get lucky witha doll wig , but for the most part you need to buy a regular small wig then, trim them,and purhaps take out a gusset in the back and stich it up again, it can be tricky work. custimize it for your own purposes, try wig stores or costume supply places, or just use fake fur or ostrich feather boas,

Iokitek

Reaction score
dolls

I read someone used old dolls and just scalped them. :stick_out_tongue:

P

Princeton

I just looked at some of the wig outlet websites in my area, and didn't really find what I was looking for. But what you guys can do to help me is give me a link for some inexpensive wigs. Thanx!

ravagefrackle

Reaction score
Princeton said:
I just looked at some of the wig outlet websites in my area, and didn't really find what I was looking for. But what you guys can do to help me is give me a link for some inexpensive wigs. Thanx!

i dont know were to send you for inexpensive wigs, i spent 50 dollars on a wig for a portrait puppet at a local wig store, i think that is low price for a well styled wig, not all puppet materials are cheap,

i know that on avenue Qsome of the wigs cost around 1 to 2 hundred dollars , and were then styled by a hair stylist.
good luck,

Show and Tell

Reaction score
Sorry for the newbie Qestion but what is Avenue Q exactly? I've heard lots about it in the forum here but never really understood what it is. Is it a production?

scarylarrywolf

Reaction score
I went through a very detailed system of constructing my own "wig" for a puppet. I bought a wig that was not attached to a net for only $3 US, and then basically divided it into two layers of hair, duct tapes off the ends to hold them together, then stitched them tightly to a piece of fabric that was the same type of that used for the scalp. Then I cut a slit down the center of the head and inserted that scrap with the hair attached to it and stitched the scrap to the surrounding scalp fabric. It makes a nice part down the middle of the head, but I don't exactly know the look you're going for. I'm sure you could figure something out with an un-netted wig.

Muppetsdownunder

Reaction score
For a very cheap wig and a pretty ok one at that I have been experimenting with mop heads, theres a shop near here that is a whole warehouse full of weird stuff and they have thousands of these mop heads for about 50 cents which make a great wig for certain puppets. they can be trimmed, dyed, platted or whatever you need to do to them.

Show and Tell

Reaction score
I've never seen this kind of puppetry where the puppeteers stand in full view like that. Really good puppetry by the way but I didn't care for the vulgarity. Just my opinion but I think they would have been just as informative and down to earth also getting their point across without all the filthy talk. Still it was interesting to see this different type of puppetry. Do they always perform without a stage to hide behind? Sorry for the muffin ...And now back to our regularly scheduled thread...:smirk: