Need Help: Janice Replica from Mike Lisa at MJL Puppet Design

Order66

Reaction score
Hi there, I've been a Muppet Fan forever. I have every Palisades figure, bar 2, and the DST figures, as well as many I have customised over the years.

I'm hoping you guys can help apparently some of you have discussed similar issues - I commissioned a full body Janice figure from a chap. Until I paid he was responsive and professional. I paid £3000 (about $3750) and now I'm worried - he only rarely responds to message (usually after I get angry) the figure is 8 months late and I'm worried. He regularly self promotes and his reasons for not responding and the delays are always that he is just far too busy. The quality of his work is second to none, and he has shared a photo of a reasonably complete Janice - which he said was mine when I asked him. I then found the same photo had been posted a year ago. I very much want to believe him but wanted some advice as I don't know what to do. I have picked up some unsavoury comments on the individual which I have had to dig for as his page/company has changed names. I have tried to make a complaint to the American authorities but they need a business address or something tangible. Can you help - or do you know who may be able to advise. The chap is Mike Lisa and the current company name is MJL Puppet Design.

I really hope you may be able to help

MuppetsRule

Reaction score
Sorry you are having trouble with the Janice replica and Mike Lisa. Can't really help you too much but here are some links to others that have had problems. Some of the other threads on MC are older threads but the story is pretty much the same.

http://www.muppetcentral.com/forum/threads/do-not-buy-from-creature-clones.58877/

http://www.muppetcentral.com/forum/threads/looking-for-a-reference-on-a-puppet-maker.37111/

https://www.ripoffreport.com/reports/specific_search/creature clones

Hate to be the bearer of bad news but good luck

Phillip

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hello @Order66,

We're sorry to hear about your trouble. We'll try to help.

Unfortunately, you're not the only one who has faced difficulty with Mike Lisa and MJL Puppet Design (aka Creature Clones, Oliver's Creature Shop, Vault of Puppets). If you paid with PayPal or a credit card, you can possibly contest the charges and get a refund for goods not received.

Here are a few additional threads that may be of help:

Mike Lisa: No puppet after 11 years

I might be buying this Pepe replica

Here are some other complaints:

Ripoff Report: Mike Lisa

Ripoff Report: Mike Lisa Creature Clones Arts & Crafts Stores

If you have any additional information on Mike Lisa and/or his company, please let us know. Making this information public may save someone else the unfortunate pain and frustration you've experienced.

Also, if you still have the Janice image(s) he sent, post it here. We can provide some insight into it's authenticity.

Order66

Reaction score
I've sent a strongly worded email, advising I have been in contact with you guys, as well as the authorities, and he has come back, ignoring the accusations and request for a refund, with a dispatch date of 15 days. The complaint with the Bergen Consumer authorities is still ongoing so I have nothing to lose