My journey at Mobile Cuts (my first video job)

LittleJerry92

Reaction score
A year has passed, and today marks the day when I had my phone interview with Montrez Williams AKA the co-founder of Mobile Cuts Boston. Since a whole year has passed and this was my first video job, I’d like to reflect on it, since I mentioned it on here a few times.

It all started when we set up a phone interview on 1/8/18. When I was talking to Montrez, he had a pretty down to Earth personality and was very talkative. He really gave a good story of what Mobile Cuts was like, and what they do as a company. Then we talked about the type of videos they shoot, and we set up an appointment to see each other in person the following day.

The next day, we met, and I also met another stylist named Fay (big sweetheart she was). We watched some of the videos previously shot and compared other videos from competing barber shops.

We scheduled the next day on the following Thursday of that week, where I filmed my first video for them of a group meeting (I also met the master barber Chris; another cool cat he was). Went very smoothly.

But here is where our first issue came up. My mom and I went down to NY for the weekend to see the Spongebob musical show live. Throughout the weekend, I kept trying to contact Montrez when he wanted me to meet him on Monday of Martin Luther Kint day. No answer. Not until I was dead asleep and it was 4 AM. He told me 11, so my mom and I had to rush out of our hotel and my dad had to meet us halfway with my equipment and my car (he was not happy about it). Thankfully Montrez pushed the time a little further when I told him I would be a little late (which I appreciated), and we got some b-roll footage in his car. Then the day after, we got some footage of him talking to a woman on the phone in his office about business details. On Thursday of that week, we went over the footage. The following day, I made a short clip of the office meeting on my first week and then he planned to look over the rest of the footage to make a montage for their three year anniversary.

And here’s where more problems develop.

By this point, it became a cat and mouse game when contacting Montrez. There was a lot of stuff going on in his life that he didn’t tell me, and it was stressing me out, because as a result, I was constantly reaching out only to be pushed aside, and no work was getting done. I practically had an entire month off from work. It was incredibly stressful. I didn’t come back in until 2/28 (where at this point, that montage was basically canceled; such a waste of footage there :rolleyes:), where I met two new interns - a girl named Ciara who worked on graphics, and a girl named Noamia from Brazil who worked on social media. It was really cool meeting them - we basically became our own team and we had a group on discord called Interns Unite, where we would have chats on what needs to be done.

Then, a week later, a new girl named Tiffany came in, also as another video intern (which felt nice on my part). Unfortunately, she got a pretty raw deal. Because of her schedule with school, she couldn’t come in as the same days, and was basically dis-acknowledged half the time. (I even forgot she was with us).

But other than that, things went pretty smoothly through March and the first half of April. By this point, we had another video intern named Jeremy who was much more available, big plus. Unfortunately, more problems ensued.

One thing I noticed with Montrez was how he cancels projects too easily. We were supposed to have a big wedding shoot to do for spring, only for it to be canceled and replaced with a video I edited of his sister and her soon to be husband (I basically put in new music with some text). It was a very nice video, but I was angry that we basically scrapped all these storyboards and shot lists that I worked my ******* *** off on.

Then....... May came. :sigh:

This was the beginning of the end. By this point, Noamia unfortunately left to pursue other stuff (and none of us were even aware), Montrez became busy building his new mobile, and as a result, things went back to square one like before.

What’s worse - by this point, Ciara was just left in the dust. So now it was just Jeremy and I. He informed us about planning on a family barbecue for the summer. I sent him all types of shots we could do for it..... and he disappears again. It eventually got to the point where I was only hearing from him like once a month. So then I called him in July and finally got a response and the barbecue was canceled (which I was upset about and also found very predictable). So then we planned a conference call with Jeremy and I (the former who couldn’t even make it), about making videos showing how someone has mobile cuts in their life without being too descriptive. I sent him an idea and....... once again, gone.

So by this point, I was basically deciding if I should even bother continuing working there. Eventually, I decided to quit and send Montrez a 2 week notice. He was concerned, but he understood and let me do one last project for him. This wasn’t easy for me. I could feel tears running down my face when I typed up that letter and worked on that final project. However, I felt much better when I learned the other interns also felt the need to leave and we all said our farewell to each other.

Two months pass, and I hear from him again in October. He called me offering me a paying job, to which I gladly took. Unfortunately, I made a big mistake doing that.

I did a 30 second video and some pictures for him to show to a client..... and bam. Once again, instantly shoved to the side. By this point, I had had enough and just left. I also blocked his number on my phone. I also ended up in-liking their Facebook page, to which they tried re-adding me and I denied it. I ended up putting his name on ratemyboss and gave him a bad review.

I was very angry and upset and it’s still something I’m having to let myself heal from. Overall, I can say it was a fun job - very therapeutic for me, but it was not fun having projects canceled and getting shoved to the side with no notice and having to play cat and mouse. After being bribed, that was the final straw and I quit for good.

I can easily say he will no longer be used as a reference for how poorly treated I was there.

LittleJerry92

Reaction score
Unfortunately no. I did however apply to a few new video internships that are paying.

Just hoping I manage to get a phone interview or in person interview.

But I also decided - by this point, if I don’t get a video job by the end of this month, I’m gonna look for a retail job for the time being. I need the dough.

MikaelaMuppet

Reaction score
Unfortunately no. I did however apply to a few new video internships that are paying.

Just hoping I manage to get a phone interview or in person interview.

But I also decided - by this point, if I don’t get a video job by the end of this month, I’m gonna look for a retail job for the time being. I need the dough.
Good luck, and hope you end up getting the video internship.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Just reading through your OP, I get a sense that Mobile Cuts ran on a sense of unprofessionalism, and just general imcompetence, much like Channel Awesome.

LittleJerry92

Reaction score
Pretty much.

Like, I get being a boss is hard - I studied this stuff in college. But at the same time, I hate being left in the dust. It also didn’t help that I had to drive my *** all the way from the Northern part of MA down to Boston.

LittleJerry92

Reaction score
One thing I forgot to mention in my first post was that I never received my payment either, which really irritated me.

By that point, I pretty much saw his true colors and had enough.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
See, this is one of the reasons why I eventually quit being a social media representative for a new church: the pastor and I had approximately one conversation about the possibility of me getting paid for my services . . . then again, it's partly my fault - I told him we would talk more about it later, since much of his finances were tied up in trying to get the church up and running.

Otherwise, much like your time with Mobile Cuts, things just weren't getting done with the church. I filmed two different videos with the pastor for the church's YouTube channel, but he was receiving a lot of criticism from other higher-ups within the church organization, that I think it was making him self-conscious about continuing further with any YouTube content, because he kept putting off further installments we were going to shoot. That, and clearly, the church wasn't growing, and the pastor just didn't have a sense of leadership in him, that I eventually turned in my notice. The last I heard, the church is back to being inside his garage.

LittleJerry92

Reaction score
Oof. Yeah I can see why that must have been frustrating.