My experiences with Steve Whitmire...

Space Muppet

Reaction score
I attended a Muppet workshop at Walt Disney World in 1990 with a bunch of other hopefuls. We were trained for a week by Steve Whitmire & Kevin Clash. They were both friendly & kind to all involved.

Years later I worked as a background puppeteer on 'Muppets From Space' & met Steve again. We chatted briefly & he posed for a photo with my friend Kim. After that it was work, he was with the other lead puppeteers & I was with the background puppeteers, so we didn't have much contact beyond the initial hello.

I've heard good things about the man, & negative things. But all I can tell you is that he was very kind to me. Like most of you I imagine, I'm clueless as to his firing.

I've seen clips of the Hollywood Bowl shows, & Matt Vogel seems to be doing a fine job as Kermit. People come & go, for assorted reasons. But as long as the Muppets continue to entertain us, I'll be happy.

Have a great day, everyone!

MikaelaMuppet

Reaction score
I attended a Muppet workshop at Walt Disney World in 1990 with a bunch of other hopefuls. We were trained for a week by Steve Whitmire & Kevin Clash. They were both friendly & kind to all involved.

Years later I worked as a background puppeteer on 'Muppets From Space' & met Steve again. We chatted briefly & he posed for a photo with my friend Kim. After that it was work, he was with the other lead puppeteers & I was with the background puppeteers, so we didn't have much contact beyond the initial hello.

I've heard good things about the man, & negative things. But all I can tell you is that he was very kind to me. Like most of you I imagine, I'm clueless as to his firing.

I've seen clips of the Hollywood Bowl shows, & Matt Vogel seems to be doing a fine job as Kermit. People come & go, for assorted reasons. But as long as the Muppets continue to entertain us, I'll be happy.

Have a great day, everyone!
So even you don't know why he was fired?

MelissaY1

Reaction score
So even you don't know why he was fired?
Why would this person know why Steve was fired? He just said he performed in one workshop and was a background performer on 1 film, where the background performers didnt' interact much with the leads. I don't think much was discussed on a set like that particularly behind the scenes business practices.

MikaelaMuppet

Reaction score
Why would this person know why Steve was fired? He just said he performed in one workshop and was a background performer on 1 film, where the background performers didnt' interact much with the leads. I don't think much was discussed on a set like that particularly behind the scenes business practices.
Sorry, but just wanted to ask, that's all.

Collgoff

Reaction score
Ever since Jerry Nelson died the muppets have been losing a few good people and puppeteers.