Museum of the Moving Image creating puppet and prop gallery for Jim Henson

Phillip

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Some exciting news today from the Museum of the Moving Image in Astoria, New York...

Miss Piggy and Mayor Bloomberg

The Muppets will always have the Muppet Theater and the “Sesame Street” gang will always have, well, Sesame Street, but these and other beloved Jim Henson characters are getting a new place to hang out. The Museum of the Moving Image said on Tuesday that it would create a gallery devoted to the work of Henson, the puppeteer and artist who died in 1990, following the donation of nearly 400 puppets, costumes and other props and objects from Henson’s family.

The Museum of the Moving Image, in Astoria, Queens, which previously featured the exhibition “Jim Henson’s Fantastic World,” said in a release that its 2,200-square-foot gallery for Henson’s work was expected to open in winter 2014-2015. The museum said that the project had a $5 million fund-raising goal, of which $2.75 million would be provided by New York City.

Among the works donated to the museum by the Henson family are artifacts from film and TV projects like “The Muppet Show,” “Sesame Street,” “Fraggle Rock” and “The Dark Crystal,” and about 200 puppets including Kermit the Frog, Miss Piggy, Elmo, Ernie, Bert, Count von Count, Gobo Fraggle, the Swedish Chef and Statler and Waldorf.

Mayor Michael R. Bloomberg of New York said in a statement: “It’s only fitting that this extraordinary collection of puppets, costumes, props, and more should find a home in New York, where imagination and free expression are part of the fabric of our city, and where anyone who’s watched an episode of ‘Sesame Street’ sees the inspiration provided by the vibrant neighborhoods and characters that make our city so extraordinary.”

The announcement was officially made on Tuesday at a presentation attended by Mr. Bloomberg and Jimmy Van Bramer, a member of the New York City Council, as well as Miss Piggy, Gobo Fraggle and Oscar the Grouch.

http://artsbeat.blogs.nytimes.com/2...age-creating-gallery-for-jim-henson/?ref=arts

Kermieuk

Reaction score
Is this instead of the puppetry centre in Atlanta??

Is it time for fans worldwide to arrange a get together when this opens?? I'd fly across from the UK to see this and any excuse to go to NY!!

Chris

Slackbot

Reaction score
Is this instead of the puppetry centre in Atlanta??
That was my first thought. After all, the two Henson exhibits, which have been up for years, are being taken down this summer. I'd hate it if the plans for the Henson expansion, which has been on hold for years, were completely dropped.

rowlfy662

Reaction score
wow might make the trip to New York to see that

FrackleFan2012

Reaction score
Whoopee!! I live in New York and I can't wait to see this permanent Muppet exhibit in Queens. This is going to be exciting!! :smile::mad::smirk: :excited: :wisdom::laugh:

Muppet fan 123

Reaction score
So excited! I'm in NY quite a lot actually, and I'd be so happy to have something always there. This is great news!

frogtownhollow

Reaction score
With the recent news of the Henson family donating 500 pieces to the New York museum, does anyone know if they are cancelling their donation to the Center of Puppetry Arts in Atlanta? I know there was/is a delay in building the Henson wing there, but do you think it means that The Hensons have decided to contribute to this museum instead. It was said in a past article when the Atlanta donation was announced that the original plan when the Hensons bought back the The Muppets in 2003 was to open a museum in New York to house all the puppets. I sincerely hope this is not the case. I hoep BOTH museums are in the works.

frogtownhollow

Reaction score
I emailed the Puppetry Center in Atlanta, and this is the response I got. While not saying specifically that it has been cancelled altogether, to me it sounds like the future collection will be downsized, or it won't be "THE" definitive Henson exhibit as originally planned. I might be wrong though - it's just the way I took it. ( I hope I AM wrong)

The Center for Puppetry Arts (CPA) is excited about the announcement of the partnership between The Jim Henson Legacy and the Museum of the Moving Image (MOMI) located in Astoria, New York. The resulting new exhibition will focus on the contributions that Jim Henson and his collaborators made to television and film. “We are pleased about this announcement. While the Henson gifts to the Center for Puppetry Arts will showcase all aspects of the master puppeteer’s life and work, it is fitting that the Museum of the Moving Image would have a special exhibit dedicated to Jim’s movies and television shows.” noted Vincent Anthony, founding Executive Director of the Center for Puppetry Arts.
Anthony continued, “Thankfully, since Jim’s work was so broad and varied, there is a range of work to support multiple exhibitions around the country, allowing many to recognize and appreciate his impact on American and world culture as well as on the puppetry art form. Jim and Jane Henson were such great supporters of the Center, as well as puppetry in general, that we are honored and proud to be a part of these exhibits and to be able to continue our relationship with the Henson family, The Jim Henson Company, and The Jim Henson Legacy.”

In 1978, Kermit the Frog (accompanied by Jim Henson) cut the ceremonial ribbon opening the Center for Puppetry Arts. Since that time, CPA has expanded to become the largest nonprofit in America dedicated to the puppetry art form with multiple performance spaces, educational classes and events, and a soon to be expanded museum space. A cornerstone of Atlanta’s cultural and educational communities, CPA has received numerous awards for its performances, workshops, and exhibitions.

In 2007, the family of Jim Henson announced plans for a future gift of puppets and other objects to the Center for Puppetry Arts. Since that time, CPA has been working to significantly expand its museum space; the Atlanta based organization hopes to make an announcement about the expansion later this summer or early fall.

We appreciate your continued interest in the Center for Puppetry Arts.

Best,
Melissa

Melissa A. McCarriagher
Exhibitions Director
Direct: 404.881.5130
melissamccarriagher@puppet.org

TheWemblin'Fool

Reaction score
Ok, I'm confused. Is the Henson Wing still opening at the Center for Puppetry Arts or not?