Muppet Captains

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I'm curious about the position handed out to certain Muppeteers called "Muppet Captains".

For example, a number of projects from the 90s credit Kevin Clash as the "Muppet Captain", likewise, in more recent years, that title belongs to Bill Barretta.

What exactly is a Muppet Captain? Is it something along the lines of like a chief/head/lead puppeteer? And if so, with all respected intended to both Kevin and Bill, why wouldn't such a position be given to someone with more seniority, like say Frank Oz (back when he still worked with the Muppets), or perhaps Dave Goelz considering he's been involved in many aspects both in front and behind the camera since his beginnings?

Again, just curious.

Hubert

Reaction score
I've always wondered what exactly they do to. I wonder if they might even be like up there more working with the head honchos to decide what the puppets can and can't do, etc. Maybe they even handle some stuff on set ups for background scenes and stuff?

And maybe the reason someone with more seniority don't always do it because it is more responsibility that some puppeteers do not want to take on?

bluebomber95

Reaction score
Muppet Captain is basically taking care of every puppet problem that might occur. It is an extremely important job, especially when filming stuff in the "real world".

So, Muppet Captains look over the script to see if there are any particularly difficult actions that the character is required to do (such as a puppet with arm rods using a doorknob), talk with the writers and director about it, and during filming, they will make sure that performers are fully hidden, there are no problems with the puppets themselves, and stuff like that.