Most Interesting International Co-Productions?

SSLFan

Reaction score
Here are mine:

1. Sesamstrasse
2. Takalani Sesame
3. Plaza Sesamo
4. Sesamstraat

What are the most interesting, or more uniquely crafted, co-productions of SS you've seen?

Oscarfan

Reaction score
I think Plaza Sesamo is interesting because of how cheeply it's produced (at least before 2008). Just look at this. It's like bad Flash animation.

Sesamstrasse is, I believe, the best produced of all the international versions. I mean, they have unique camera angles, their own sound effects, good visual effects, they produce their own Muppet segments and they're even shooting in HD!

mr3urious

Reaction score
I've seen clips of Sesamstrasse and Sesamstraat, and I think they are two of the best international co-productions.

I've been reading up on the various co-productions, and I find it interesting how Sesamstraat had a preschool built in the '80s in an attempt to get kids involved in the show and make it seem less obvious that it was a show.

I really like Sesamstrasse's theme song, and it is possibly my favorite foreign SS song. I find it hilariously cruel that the opening lyrics translate as "This, this, that?/Who how, what?/Why, why, why?/Those who don't ask stay dumb.". You could never get away with that in an English-speaking show no matter how it's handled, especially these days! :smile:

I've seen one episode of Sesame Tree, Northern Ireland's version, and I liked what I saw. Potto is just so silly (I'd like to see him meet Telly, his relative, someday!), and the concept of two Muppets who live in a hollow tree answering kids' questions is a good one.

The Japanese show also interests me, but the only bit I've seen of it was the intro on the Sesame Workshop website.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I find them all interesting. Even the old 70's ones with the ugly, unofficial rubber suits before CTW made characters for them. We have such amazing characters like Moische Oofnik, Mojambo, Filfil.... too many to even name. And all with different character designs than the ones you see on the US versions.

The only ones I find not interesting are the Open Sesame dubs. Sure, it may be interesting to see how they sound in different languages, and how they sing on different levels of off key and sloppiness to fit the lyrics of the song. But NOT half as interesting as Sesame Workshop trying to use different characters to spread peace when their brainwashed tools of oppression they call parents just don't want to. Or are too afraid to....

mr3urious

Reaction score
What's also interesting to me is Svenska Sesam (Sweden's version). It's the only co-production that doesn't have any of its own Muppet characters in the "theatre scenes"; just humans. I wonder if Swedish children still paid attention to the show?

BobThePizzaBoy

Reaction score
No love for Rechov Sumsum? I really think Kippi and Moishe Oofnik are two of the most developed Muppets of the co-productions. Then again, we as a US audience have spent a bit more time with them than the other co-production characters.

I hold a lot of nostalgia for Plaza Sesamo. Watched it all the time during my early elementary school years, even if I couldn't understand a word they were saying. Besides, like Oscarfan said, the budget is so low that it's entertaining to watch just for that.

I love the puppets of Takalani Sesame, but my knowledge beyond that is next to nothing.

Drtooth

Reaction score
No love for Rechov Sumsum? I really think Kippi and Moishe Oofnik are two of the most developed Muppets of the co-productions. Then again, we as a US audience have spent a bit more time with them than the other co-production characters.
Rechov Sumsum, as well as that Palestinian co-production that was supposed to coincide with it to spread peace may have been one of the most important ones there ever was. Too bad the local governments under the pressure of both evil hate groups caused them to dissolve everything. Otherwise, we could have had a real generation of love and peace rebelling against the bitter, angry, terrorist sympathizing oppression tools of parents they had on BOTH sides(as I said before). But Moishe Oofnik is one of my absolute favorite international characters...

SSLFan

Reaction score
I really like Sesamstrasse's theme song, and it is possibly my favorite foreign SS song. I find it hilariously cruel that the opening lyrics translate as "This, this, that?/Who how, what?/Why, why, why?/Those who don't ask stay dumb.". You could never get away with that in an English-speaking show no matter how it's handled, especially these days! :smile:
Lol really? Is there a transalation of the whole song available somewhere?

Beauregard

Reaction score
I actually enjoy Sesame Tree (The Irish one) where the main characters live in a tree, and connect via the internet to old clips of classic SS characters.