Modified Animal & Gonzo photo puppets

TML

Reaction score
Hi everbody. I modified my Animal Master Replicas photo puppet. I hollowed him out, removed the wires from his arms, added arm rods and practically dismantled his head. I put in a mouth plate and replaced his teeth, nose, and tongue with foam ones. I also unglued his eyebrows and added a blinking mechanism and moved the eybrows lower so you don't see the white plastic. I also began work on carving a reticulated foam head for Gonzo! Check it out.

http://s40.photobucket.com/albums/e238/toddscustomfigures/Puppet Making/

Melonpool

Reaction score
It's amazing how much more Animal looks like Animal now that he's a puppet -- do you think the poser puppet had too much stuffing in his head?

Great work! What's next? Fozzie?

puppetsmith

Reaction score
Fantastic! I'd love to see Animal in motion. Got any videos planned? :wink:

TML

Reaction score
The stuffing in his head was really minimal. I think what helped it look better was the relaxing of his "hair" and the repositioning of the eyebrows, which anyone can do to their poser. Also, the teeth were going in the wrong direction! You think he looks better, Gonzo looks 150% better! The next thing I'm trying to tackle is Miss Piggy. A friend and I are working on sculpting her head and then casting it in urethane foam, but that's a summer long project. He has lots of experience in casting props and stuff.

MuppetCaper

Reaction score
I have been wanting to have my Gonzo's nose redone fora long timenow. I just never worked with foam like this and I am afraid of messing it up. He does look a lot better now. :concern:

TML

Reaction score
I started with a block of foam and traced the top, side, back, and front views of Gonzo's head. We did reduction sculpture in college and it's the same thing. Then using an electric carving knife and scissors, I set to work. It took a couple tries to get what I wanted. Here's a link to a company that sells remnant pieces of the foam at an affordable price.

https://www.foamcenter.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Category_Code=RAIN