• Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help.
  • "Muppets Now" premieres on Disney+
    The Muppets fifth series of all time debuted on Disney+. Make plans to watch one of the most anticipated shows of the year. New episodes premiere every Friday through September 4.
  • 50 Years and Counting
    Read our review and discuss with fans the highly anticipated Sesame Street "50 Years and Counting" DVD set from Shout Factory featuring over five hours of beloved moments.
  • 50 Years and Still Sunny!
    Read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the all-new Sesame Street documentary "50 Years and Still Sunny!" hosted by Gloria Estefan.
  • The Dark Crystal: "Age of Resistance"
    After a 36 year wait, return to the great conjunction. The Dark Crystal "Age of Resistance" is a mesmerizing and beautiful prequel series now on Netflix. Renew your essence today.
  • Music is Everywhere
    Muppet Central Radio is now on TorontoCast, TuneIn, Apple, Amazon and Google. Listen to Muppet music 24/7 wherever you go with TuneIn and Apple apps and devices.

Little things we've noticed

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Michael Earl has said that during the time he was on the show, he, Brian Meehl,
And Caroll Spinney were the only performers on the set every day. And I think season 12 is when both performers really start to do a lot of character (which could be attributed to most of the other main performers not being on set much that season).

But of these two in season 12, Brian Meehl seems to be the one to have gotten more star treatment, I feel he was the one more likely to get a lead role in a segment.Sure, Michael Earl was now performing Snuffy (who couldn’t really appear with anyone besides Big Bird, and I feel like Snuffy’s season 12 appearances weren’t that frequent) and Forgetful Jones, as well as Leslie Mostly and Poco Loco. But I can’t think of a lot of one-shot roles he had.

but in season 12, Brian Meehl performed the lead singer in “Come Join Us” and the shark in “Shark Song”, and he was the ringmaster in an episode involving a circus, and I think he had more recurring characters that season, including Barkley, Telly, Elmo, Countess Von Dahling, Clementine (who was really only there for Forgetful, admittedly), Pearl, and Dr. Nobel Price (admittedly, a few of those did not really appear often).

Not really sure about the next season, where Richard Hunt is a main performer in street scenes again and Martin Robinson joins the show (I assume appearing as often as Meehl and Hunt), I’m inclined to think that Hunt would get more starring roles with Meehl getting a little less (but then again, Hunt might have been willing to arrange for them to have more major roles).

MuppetSpot

Reaction score
With Michael Earl, he didn’t really get as many main roles due to how John Stone wasn’t a big fan of him and later got him fired.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
According to Jon, he didn't take direction as well as the other performers.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
And I've heard they thought his performance hadn't improved in three years. Makes me wonder if that's why he seemed to get less than Brian Meehl or if maybe not getting as many opportunities to star contributed to that (he was also told he needed Jim and Frank around to really help his performance and they weren't around enough).

minor muppetz

Reaction score
In the few times Little Jerry and the Monotones appeared after the 1970s, regardless of whether it’s all the same regular members or if there’s somebody who wasn’t part of the group before, it seems they always wanted the group to consist of three members instead of four.

The Rock & Roll video is the only post-1970s appearance by Little Jerry and the Monotones to include four members. I am glad they worked Telephone Rock into the plot, which meant four members, the same four regular ones, and they were all in their original attire.

And yet in their final appearance before they started reducing the group to just three members, they had five members.