Life's a Happy Song

usagimonster

Reaction score
Hello fellow Muppet fans!!!

I know I'm new here, but I have been reading lots and lots of fics on these threads and I've been inspired to write my own. I've been a life long puppet/muppet fan, but I've come here to finally share the stories that have been circling in my head for months and months. I can no longer just let them be ideas, they are to be shared and read. I'm very excited to share them with you and I can't wait to see what you make of them.

I'm currently working on two stories. My next post in this thread will be the prologue of my first. I am finishing the prologue of my second story as well and I will hopefully have that one up very soon. That one's more ush-gush. :smile:

Although the title suggests it, this fic doesn't specifically pertain to the most recent Muppet movie that came out, although you'll discover very strong connections with it later. Either way, even though this will only be the prologue, I would still love to hear your thoughts. A new chapter will soon follow.

Also, this fic might be a little distant from what you guys are used to at first, but I promise that it will very soon turn into a muppet fic. Wait and see. :smile:

Without further ado... Life's a Happy Song!

usagimonster

Reaction score
PROLOGUE

Life is really funny. I know that’s a weird way to start this out, but it is. Life is truly a funny, funny thing. You know why that is? Because nothing ever comes out the way you expect it to. It’s cliche, I know. But seriously, how else am I supposed to describe everything that’s happened to me until now?

My whole life I thought I had everything under control. But no matter what I do, things are constantly popping up, for better or for worse, and always changing the coarse of everything. If a couple of years ago you had told me that I would be where I am now, I probably would have thought it was the dumbest thing I’d ever heard. I probably would have asked what drug you took to come up with that idea, and why weren’t you sharing any of it with me?

Through a series of unexpected events, I started out in middle America and then suddenly all the way in Los Angeles, the city of dreams, where shattered dreams all of a sudden turned into possibilities. All thanks to one very special person. Well, one special Frog actually.

A frog, you ask? Yeah, I bet you didn’t see that coming.

It wasn’t until the world knew about my connection with the one and only Kermit the Frog that anyone cared about who I was. Suddenly, my life turned upside down, and everyone wanted to know me. Not that fame was ever anything of importance to me. To be honest I spent a lot of my life trying to hide from the world and making sure people didn’t notice me. Of course, being 5’9” kind of made that difficult. Like I said, life is funny that way.

My past has brought a lot of hardships on my shoulders that every once in a while sneak up on me, making it hard to overcome the pain I’ve built up for such a long time.
But these hardships have also brought a lot of amazing, unexpected turns, that I can’t help but be grateful for.

I’ve spent a lot of nights alone. Thinking, debating, wondering how my life had led up to this point. If the past couple of years have taught me anything, it’s that you can’t reflect on the past and regret. All we can do is move forward and learn from whatever life has brought us. Still, it’s fun to reminisce, right?

Up until recently, whenever the cameras were rolling, no one knew who I was. I’ve spent most of my time on the sideline being a supporter for my friends and the ones I can now call family. But this is my story. My name is Brandy, and this is how I became a Muppet.

Misskermie

Reaction score
You are so good at that! Write more, oh please!

newsmanfan

Reaction score
--------------
A five-foot-nine Muppet? Is she, er, of the monstrous persuasion? :super:

I like the beginning. Your character so far sounds young and astounded with his/her own stardom. Curious to see what you have in mind, and hey, when do we get to SEE this character?

----------------

charlietheowl

Reaction score
Interested to see where this one goes and especially what your character looks like. Looking forward to the next installment!

usagimonster

Reaction score
Wow! I can't believe it! I've only posted the prologue and I'm already getting positive responses. You guys are awesome!!!

I'm going to do everything I can to update these fics at least once or twice a week so I hope you'll come back and check often.

I'm about to post the first chapter, which I finished this evening. Again, not much Muppet relation at first but you'll hopefully notice the clues. I promise you'll see stronger Muppet action soon, but for now this chapter is to give you a background of the character. So, please enjoy and review!

usagimonster

Reaction score
CHAPTER ONE

Brandy Rowe was not the most beautiful girl to look at. But she was in no way an ugly duckling, either. Her cream-white face was always noticeably long, pointed of chin and square of jaw, and cheekbones abnormally high. Her face was decorated with soft features of French, Irish, as well as questionable decent. Her beady eyes were a pale green, starred with thin eyelashes and above them a pair of thin brows. Her hair was a light brown that sometimes had an auburn tint when hit by the sun’s rays. Its length almost reached her chest but was often mistaken as being short because it was so thin.

Her figure was also incredibly thin. Some would say rail-thin. Throughout her life, whoever bothered to comment would often tell her that she needed to eat more. But in truth, as little of an appetite she had, the food she ate was almost always junk food. Pizza, cereal, french fries, cup of noodle ramen, soda, hamburgers, macaroni and cheese, anything that would satisfy her cravings. But despite this, she never gained weight. For a long time she thought it was all those years of cross country and track in High School, but even after all of that was behind her she never gained an ounce. Eventually it was just concluded that she had a metabolism so high that any girl in the world would kill to have it.

When Brandy graduated High School she was the tallest girl in her class, having already reached 5’9” by the time she was fourteen years of age. By then she was very much used to the stares and pointed fingers she would get, especially from younger children. It was hard to miss the tall girl with skintight jeans, a zip-up black sweatshirt, and combat boots. Most girls her age were wearing uggs, colorfully miniskirts or dresses, but that was never her style. She personally preferred to not look like she was trying to attract a mate.

She hadn’t had a lot of experience outside of the small town community she grew up in, having been born and raised in Cricketsburg, a town in the southern regions of Ohio State known mostly for its iron mills and farming agriculture with a population of 5,316. Often dubbed the name “Smalltown, USA.” In this town, summers were blazingly hot, and winters blisteringly cold. It was the kind of town where people frequently waved from their cars at people on the street. A trip to the grocery store could take two hours because you’d strike up a conversation with someone, whether you knew them or not. There were twenty-three churches in the town alone, sometimes it could feel like you’d spot one on every corner. In conclusion, was very much a bubble town. There was no escaping it.

Brandy had never known her real father, and therefore was always unaware of her entire background. She was raised alone by her mother, Lillian, who worked very hard to provide for the both of them, and who didn’t seem to mind not having a man to provide for her. But things changed when Brandy was eight and her mother married a political man named Robert Hancock who at the time was running to be mayor of the town. Soon after they married Brandy was adopted by him as well. She was pretty sure Lilian had just married him for security, and he married her to make his campaign look good, but there was never any hard evidence of this. Besides her mother constantly saying, “Things will be better now.”

Until Robert came into their lives, things were actually fine for Brandy. She didn’t mind not having a father figure. In fact she loved it being just the two of them, and she enjoyed the small town life that she had. She adored her mother. Lillian loved her daughter like two parents would, so Brandy never felt like she was missing out on anything. After they got married, Robert was eventually elected mayor and continued take care of them both, showering them with gifts and as much affection as possible. But eventually, Brandy caught on that it was just for show. She started to notice that the affection was mostly done in public, for everyone to see, and she hated watching her mother blindly go through the marriage and not seem to notice that he was using them both. At least that’s how it appeared to be. Still, Lillian seemed happy, for the most part, and therefore Brandy was never able to muster up the courage to say anything.

In the end Brandy never got the chance to tell her mother how she really felt about Robert. A few years later, Lillian died after a long battle with leukemia. Of course Brandy was devastated and of course it took a long time to come to terms with it. Did Robert notice this? No one can say for sure. But what Brandy did notice was the lies. The lies he told everyone of how he was by Lillian’s side the whole time. How heart broken he was and how he was doing everything he could to look after Brandy during this difficult time. When from her end it was the exact opposite. All he did was work. When her mother was sick he spent more time out of town and hardly spoke of her illness except for when people asked. Even then he didn’t seem to show much emotion. He hardly ever said a word to Brandy from then on either. That’s when she finally knew he was a phony. It made her angry to watch him get all of the affection from others for being such a supporting husband, and to have people tell her that it was so good that he was taking care of her.

As she got older, Brandy concluded that the only reason Robert was in her life anymore was to provide her with a free place to sleep. That and, for the sake of his public image, to make it look like he still cared for his stepdaughter. It finally seemed understood that she would keep quite about the subject from the public and he would not disown her. They would go to a few public events here and there together, she would smile and nod for the public, and she wouldn’t say anything about what a pointless father he was. Still, she was determined to show the world that she could be independent and take care of herself, just like her mother had done.

And here she was now, twenty years of age, finally finishing her sophomore year of college. Community college, that is. For the past four years she had been working odd jobs, part time jobs and eventually full time jobs to in order to afford some kind of education after High School. It is possible that Robert could have helped pay for her tuitions, but he never offered, and quite frankly she preferred it that way. Ever since people told her how lucky she was to be taken care of, all she wanted to do was prove to them that she was just fine taking care of herself, and right now she couldn’t be more proud of how things had turned out so far. She was successfully providing for herself, she was getting the education that she needed, and everything seemed to be turning out the way she wanted. And even better, her best friend, David, was graduating and she couldn’t wait to celebrate with him.

Brandy smiled at herself in the mirror as she finished getting ready that morning. Now that all the pressure of finals, tests and papers were off their shoulders, maybe this would finally be the evening she would confess how she felt about him. She smiled and nodded at herself in the mirror, knowing today was going to be that day. She had already let that kind of opportunity slip from her before and she wasn’t going to let it happen again.

usagimonster

Reaction score
Oh and yes... I have a VERY strong idea of what this character looks like, but I'm not going to post pictures just yet! First let your imagination go wild for a bit and then we'll introduce her. Have fun with the reading! :wink: