Just saw Little Shop and Ave Q

Jennifer12

Reaction score
I just got home from NY. We saw Wicked, Avenue Q and Little Shop of Horrors.

First Little Shop: The plant was definitely spectacular. I can't say a lot without giving a lot away, but it was very impressive. I wanted to wait at the stage door and meet the puppeteers, but I didn't think I'd recognize them. I know the show is going to tour, I'd imagine they built a few more plants under the same design to do that, so it should come to most folks who can't make it to NYC. It didn't do too well with Tony nominations, so I'd be surprised if it stays open on Broadway for too much longer. It's too bad, because it's really a fun show.

Avenue Q: I don't know what to say about this show. It just seemed to reach increasing heights of ridiculousness. My kind of show! I laughed so hard at some points tears were coming out of my eyes. And they take a shot at George Bush that the audience loved! I went with my Mom and her impression was that it was geared specifically toward the thirtysomethings who grew up with Sesame Street. I couldn't deny that. I read on playbill.com recently that the show has already recouped it's investment and a tour is planned. I hope they play smaller theaters. Our local theater that hosts most of the touring Broadway shows is two thousand seats and its a cavern. You'd never be able to see the puppets. I also hope they don't clean it up for the tour. I like the off-color humor. Some of it is downright dirty! The cast is so talented, and John Tartaglia is what Rosie O'Donnell would call a "cutie-patootie." He was adorable. I'm kicking myself for not staying to meet them after the show, but my mom wasn't feeling well and wanted to go back to the hotel.

Anyway, just thought I'd post my thoughts!

Jennifer