Jimmy Fallon to replace Conan on "Late Night"

Ilikemuppets

Reaction score
Ouch! that's all I'm going to say personally...

LOS ANGELES (Hollywood Reporter) - "Saturday Night Live" veteran Jimmy Fallon has sealed a deal to succeed "Late Night" host Conan O'Brien on NBC in 2009, sources said.
ADVERTISEMENT

O'Brien, whose show airs at 12:35 a.m., is moving to Los Angeles next year to replace Jay Leno at "The Tonight Show," which airs an hour earlier.

NBC is expected to make the announcement on May 12 during its "upfront" presentation to advertisers in New York. The network declined comment on Thursday.

Fallon, 33, co-starred on "SNL" for six seasons, and co-hosted its "Weekend Update" segment. He left the show to focus on making features, although such efforts as "Fever Pitch" and "Taxi" fell flat at the box office.

Fallon's new gig as "Late Night" host stems from a development deal he signed with NBC in early 2007. He will probably stay at O'Brien's Studio 6A at New York's 30 Rock, although details have not been confirmed.

The move further cements NBC's late-night transition, which is making Leno a highly sought-after free agent. ABC and Fox are reportedly circling the top-rated comic, while NBC is trying to keep him in the company fold with a new show.

Reuters/Hollywood Reporter

Speed Tracer

Reaction score
Conan HAD to have had some say in this. I have faith in Conan; therefore, I have faith in Fallon.

Demetri Martin, Michael Ian Black or Andy Richter would have been much better, but I do think Fallon could do this right. Maybe this is the place he's meant to shine.

Drtooth

Reaction score
What kind of world do we live in where Jimmy Fallon still has a career? I mean seriously. He's not that funny. He really isn't.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
No... no... no... this can't be happening!

So what's going to happen to Jay Leno then? And are they going to try to rub out Jimmy Kimmel as well? What'll happen to David Letterman? !

Speed Tracer

Reaction score
Kimmel and Letterman aren't on NBC so this doesn't affect them.

Drtooth

Reaction score
No... no... no... this can't be happening!

So what's going to happen to Jay Leno then? And are they going to try to rub out Jimmy Kimmel as well? What'll happen to David Letterman? !

Jay Leno is said to have made a deal with FOX to make a new late night show. I don't know if NBC was forcing him out, or he wanted to leave, but i can tell you this... Fox cannot make a late night show. Remember what happened with Chevy Chase?

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I got a better idea... keep Conan on his show, keep Leno on his show, get rid of that Craig Ferguson jerk, and let Jimmy Fallon replace him instead!

dwayne1115

Reaction score
For Late night they need someone with some energy. Like Conan had, but Jimmy Fallion does not. To me Jimmy Fallon was boring and was not even really good on SNL. I would really love to see someone like Louie Anderson make a comeback. Then again what do I know.

ryhoyarbie

Reaction score
For Late night they need someone with some energy. Like Conan had, but Jimmy Fallion does not. To me Jimmy Fallon was boring and was not even really good on SNL. I would really love to see someone like Louie Anderson make a comeback. Then again what do I know.
Louie Anderson? Whoa! Hold on a tick there. Anderson creeps me out with that weird voice and those buggy eyes. But tis it's my opinion.

Agreed with everyone that Jimmy Fallon isn't funny. He was never funny on SNL and I thought he tried to hard.

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
Rebound Host & Where is the Loyalty?

Leno named Conan as his replacement years ago so that there would be a smooth transition and to avoid the Leno/Letterman feud of the 90s. He said that he wanted to finish out the current political season because that would be finishing on top for him. Jay was to retire after that, but it appears now he's had second thoughts.

:search: This confirms the suspicions brought about by Letterman's camp back when David lost the Tonight Show and moved to CBS. Jay has a poor sense of loyalty. He's rich enough, but I guess he still wants to be in the game even though he arranged this deal in the first place. NBC isn't forcing Leno out, they're just maintaining the plans initiated by Jay and amazingly keeping loyal to Conan even though his ratings have taken a dip. :cool:

Whoah! That was a rant. He He. And about Fallon...can you say rebound host? At least it's not going to Ryan Seacrest. Did Carson Daly pass? Is he still on? My choice (although he probably was offered it and turned it down) is Andy Richter. Heck, give it to Wanda Sykes instead of Fallon. She's funny and has been reduced to second bananna to Old Christine and a talking apple in Alplebee's commercials. :rolleyes: