Jim Hill: Disney's Muppet revival project

Vic Romano

Reaction score
A very tantilizing report, but it raises a few questions (and forgive me if they've already been asked and answered):
• Who from "The Simpsons" was so interested to help with the Muppets, and why didn't the Muppets (regardless of who was in charge) let them? My guess would be Sam Simon. Only because it seems like lately, he's more of a go-getter and seems to be choosing his own projects rather then taking requests.

• If these proposed contracts with other companies and the Henson Company are still in effect, is this why we haven't seen anything new and big? And if these contracts exist, why isn't Henson then more involved with the Muppets currently?

• Not having heard anything until this article, does that mean we can forget seeing any translated episodes of the French TV show?

I think the big picture here is that Disney may finally be seeing that the Muppets are power houses, they just need to unlock it. And for all intensive purposes, love him or hate him; Jim Hill seems to have the Muppets best interest at heart. My fear: has too much damage already been done? Setting such an incredibly low bar to settle for using the Muppets as commercial gimmicks to sell product, can today's generation see them as more then corporate lackeys selling cars and pizza?

I used to get reemed here back in the day for speaking against such things and saying "just because they slap the frog's face on something doesn't mean it HAS to meet our approval". But now it has become more and more evident that the Muppets weren't even in the ranks of show ponies. This article gives me some confidence and excitement, and if this Bruer woman is half the fan Mr. Hill claims her to be, I believe there is hope.

TheJimHensonHour

Reaction score
A very tantilizing report, but it raises a few questions (and forgive me if they've already been asked and answered):
• Who from "The Simpsons" was so interested to help with the Muppets, and why didn't the Muppets (regardless of who was in charge) let them? My guess would be Sam Simon. Only because it seems like lately, he's more of a go-getter and seems to be choosing his own projects rather then taking requests.

• If these proposed contracts with other companies and the Henson Company are still in effect, is this why we haven't seen anything new and big? And if these contracts exist, why isn't Henson then more involved with the Muppets currently?

• Not having heard anything until this article, does that mean we can forget seeing any translated episodes of the French TV show?

I think the big picture here is that Disney may finally be seeing that the Muppets are power houses, they just need to unlock it. And for all intensive purposes, love him or hate him; Jim Hill seems to have the Muppets best interest at heart. My fear: has too much damage already been done? Setting such an incredibly low bar to settle for using the Muppets as commercial gimmicks to sell product, can today's generation see them as more then corporate lackeys selling cars and pizza?

I used to get reemed here back in the day for speaking against such things and saying "just because they slap the frog's face on something doesn't mean it HAS to meet our approval". But now it has become more and more evident that the Muppets weren't even in the ranks of show ponies. This article gives me some confidence and excitement, and if this Bruer woman is half the fan Mr. Hill claims her to be, I believe there is hope.
Yes this was an amazing read!
And yes it was Sam Simon!
I believe Henson hasn't been helping so much because of the fact they are trying to distance themselves from the muppets now veyr much the same thing Jim was trying to do before he passed.
Also it's very understandable really after reading this why Henson wouldn't want to be around The muppets where just pretty much bodies without heads.
I really hope this new person is good for them because the muppets are something special and really need to be treated as such!:smile:

rexcrk

Reaction score
I agree, that was a good and very interesting read! I'd love to see the Muppets come back in a big and great way, and it looks like they is a little ray of hope in the future.

I still think, at the VERY LEAST they should show The Muppet Show or Muppet Babies on Disney Channel... or at least have the characters come up during the commercial and say "Hi, I'm Kermit the Frog and you're watching Disney Channel!" (and then draw the Mickey ears). I've been watching Disney Channel more frequently than I used to and I don't see them doing that any more :grouchy:

a_Mickey_Muppet

Reaction score
the commercial and say "Hi, I'm Kermit the Frog and you're watching Disney Channel!" (and then draw the Mickey ears). I've been watching Disney Channel more frequently than I used to and I don't see them doing that any more :grouchy:
yeah same here... i havnt seen them on over a year now... thank god i got them on my cell :smile:

dabauckham

Reaction score
What a great article!!! I really appreciated reading the whole background story of the Muppets over the last few years. Even though I knew some of these things, I learned a lot.

I do wonder if "Muppet TV" will ever be available w. subtitles...but somehow (as Vic says) it seems unlikely.

Thanks for sharing this Tim! :smile:

Ilikemuppets

Reaction score
Hmm...Very informative! I didn't know the reason behind why a lot of things were happening the way they were. Nice article:cool:

Beauregard

Reaction score
*crosses fingers*

Here's hopeing that with the relaunch of the Muppets, they relaunch Piggy to diva status (as opposed to "Wannabe diva" status) and get Kermit and Piggy back together.