Jeopardy! Says Good-Bye to Alex Trebek

Steve Arino

Reaction score

Alex Trebek, the ultimate Game Show legend who's hosted "Jeopardy!" since 1984, has died at age 80, 20 months after announcing his Stage 4 Pancreatic Cancer diagnosis on March 6, 2019, at his home in Los Angeles, California.

George Alexander "Alex" Trebek was born on July 22, 1940 in Sudbury, Canada, the elder of 2 children (including a younger sister, Barbara, who predeceased him in 2008, also of Cancer) born to French immigrant Lucille Lagasse and Ukrainian immigrant George Edward Trebek; after his parents divorce, Lucille gave Alex a younger half-brother, Michael, born in 1956, the product of an extramarital affair Lucille had as his parents were going through their Divorce.

After coming to America in 1973 from Canada, Alex made his U.S. game show debut with the short-lived "Wizard of Odds." This was followed by a number of OTHER short-lived shows e.g. "Double Dare" (NOT to be confused with the more popular Nickelodeon game show of the same name) before Alex was picked to succeed Art Fleming (who himself died of Pancreatic Cancer in 1995) as host of "Jeopardy!" in 1984--a job he maintained to the end, even as he battled Stage 4 Pancreatic Cancer during his last 20 months.

On a personal note, not just before but moreso since the first revelation of his Pancreatic Cancer, I admired Alex Trebek for his transparent policy (as he first described his open-and-honest policy with his fans) throughout his Pancreatic Cancer battle, sharing with the world his ups, his downs, his highs, his lows, his successes and more throughout his brave battle with the disease.

Though "Jeopardy!" will not be the same without Alex, he continued to tape the series throughout his battle with Pancreatic Cancer even as recent as October 29. His final remaining "Jeopardy!" episodes will continue to air throughout Christmas Day, and will air Posthumously in his Memory.

As a life-long, devoted "Jeopardy!" fan since as long as I can remember, that is what I'm gonna miss about Alex Trebek most--not only the fact that he was very well at what he did over 36 1/2 seasons, but the fact that he, throughout the last 20 months, not once backed down against Pancreatic Cancer--much less to ANY other opponent in relative recent years e.g. a Torn Achilles Tendon and a Subdural Hematoma to name other health challenges besides Pancreatic Cancer.

And for that, like many other of my fellow Americans, I'm gonna miss you, Alex. Thank you for your banter, your master, and most importantly, throughout your 80 years on Earth, your Truth. I praise God that you and I will meet in Heaven on the other side.

Until then, if you want somebody to be your friend, you've got to be a friend to them.

Thank you, and Good Night.

07/22/1940 - 11/08/2020

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I know now is really no time to make jokes, but I really couldn't help but laugh over somebody tweeting that Sean Connery has just been waiting to troll him in the afterlife.

MikaelaMuppet

Reaction score

fuzzygobo

Reaction score
I was around when one of his first game shows, High Rollers, was a hit in 1975 (I had the home version).
In the early 80s he also hosted a game show called Pitfall, which he never got paid for.

For a time, he also hosted Classic Concentration
. So Alex, I’ll remember you for more than just Jeopardy! Especially in your younger days, when you could pass for Groucho Marx.

CoolGuy1013

Reaction score
I know now is really no time to make jokes, but I really couldn't help but laugh over somebody tweeting that Sean Connery has just been waiting to troll him in the afterlife.
OMG! I’ve been doing that ever since I heard the news. Too bad my family believes it’s too soon. It’s not a national tragedy or anything.