James Cameron's next film "Avatar".

Speed Tracer

Reaction score
I could name, off the top of my head, about twenty-five films I can't wait to see, but none of them so much as the first movie in twelve years by James Cameron, the man who brought us "The Terminator" and "Terminator 2: Judgment Day", "Aliens", "The Abyss", "True Lies", and, o'course, "Titanic".

First announced as "Project 880", the film is a $195 million budget science fiction adventure set years from now. Last January, it was officially greenlighted by Fox.

"In the future, Jake, a paraplegic war veteran is brought to another planet, Pandora, which is inhabited by the Na'vi, a humanoid race with their own language and culture. Those from Earth find themselves at odds with each other and the local culture."

"'Avatar' is also an emotional journey of redemption and revolution. It is the story of a wounded ex-marine, thrust unwillingly into an effort to settle and exploit an exotic planet rich in bio-diversity, who eventually crosses over to lead the indigenous race in a battle for survival."

"We're creating an entire world, a complete ecosystem of phantasmagorical plants and creatures, and a native people with a rich culture and language."

That's all from the press release. James Cameron, the man himself, calls it "...a futuristic tale set on a planet 200 years hence... an old-fashioned jungle adventure with an environmental conscience... [that] aspires to a mythic level of storytelling."

The cast is one of the best I've seen for a Cameron film. Sam Worthington plays Jake, the main character. If you know him from anything at this point, it's the Australian version of "Macbeth" he was in a few years ago. He was particularly great in that, so I have high hopes for this. James Cameron personally suggested to the filmmakers of the fourth "Terminator" film (which he has no involvement in and comes out the summer before "Avatar") that they cast Worthington in one of the lead roles.

Zoë Saldaña is Worthington's love interest, a member of the alien race Na'vi. You'll know her as Anamaria from the first "Pirates of the Caribbean" flick. She's also been in, uh, "Center Stage", "Get Over It", "Drumline", "Crossroads", and "Guess Who". Oh, and "The Terminal"! She'll also be starring in another big-budget sci-fi movie in 2009 in May's "Star Trek" revival as Uhura.

Sigourney Weaver, who previously worked with Cameron on "Aliens", is Grace, a botanist who acts as a mentor to Worthington's Jake. It's great to see Weaver acting in genre films again. And, then, the rest of the cast: Michelle Rodriguez, Giovanni Ribisi, Stephen Lang, Joel David Moore, and Matt Gerald. Whew. AWESOME group of actors.

I haven't even gotten to the most exciting aspect of this anticipated project. It's being filmed in 3D motion capture technology, similar to "The Polar Express", "Monster House" and "Beowulf". The biggest problem with those films is that the characters often seem dead and lifeless, especially their eyes. Cameron will be utilizing his own version of the technology in which characters will seem as real as, say, King Kong in the 2005 remake, or Gollum from "The Lord of the Rings". The goal is to make humans and aliens seem as realistic and alive as those creations. Oh, and in 3D, too.

Anyway. Not really sure what my purpose was in making this thread besides starting the "Avatar" hype train here on Muppet Central. You can read more about it here.

December 18th, 2009.