Is Oscar supposed to represent a Homeless Person??

SCOOTER_101

Reaction score
This is something Iv'e been wondering about for quite a while. But Oscar is a strange guy who lives in a Trashcan. I was wondering if he was supposed to represent a Homeless Person, since Homeless people are common in places like that. I remember reading in the Book The Wisdom of Big Bird Carroll Spinney said that Oscar was supposed to originally just live in a pile of trash on the sidewalk without a Garbage Can. So I wonder if this is the original intention for Oscar or not since he has all the charachteristics of a Homeless person. Has anyone else ever thought about this? What does everyone else think of this? :grouchy: :grouchy: :grouchy:

Vic Romano

Reaction score
Dave Chapel nakes a funny crack about this very thing in his stand-up act.

mikebennidict

Reaction score
SCOOTER_101 said:
This is something Iv'e been wondering about for quite a while. But Oscar is a strange guy who lives in a Trashcan. I was wondering if he was supposed to represent a Homeless Person, since Homeless people are common in places like that. I remember reading in the Book The Wisdom of Big Bird Carroll Spinney said that Oscar was supposed to originally just live in a pile of trash on the sidewalk without a Garbage Can. So I wonder if this is the original intention for Oscar or not since he has all the charachteristics of a Homeless person. Has anyone else ever thought about this? What does everyone else think of this? :grouchy: :grouchy: :grouchy:
i doubt it.

Alarium

Reaction score
I Think Sesame Street was all about getting along with everyone. No matter if you lived in appartment or in a trash can. That's why everyone wanted to know how to get there.

Muppets and people living together in harmony!

BEAR

Reaction score
SCOOTER_101 said:
NO, he was not intended to represent homeless people. If you want to know what his purpose it, ask me on a thread called "How to Get to Sesame Street..."

Vic Romano

Reaction score
From another thread:
JaniceFerSure said:
To quote 'The Works',on Oscars behavior:

"Preschoolers know all about grouches-they can be pretty grumpy themselves.That's why they have no difficulty in identifying with Oscar,the ultimate Grouch.To say that Oscar-who lives in a garbage can-is a skeptic is to indulge in understatement. He takes nothing on trust,and he is not shy about expressing his disdain for the mealy-mouthed politeness practiced by the other inhabitants of Sesame Street. Somehow,though,he manages to remain a sympathetic character."

Oscar does have his mood swings,but he does manage also to lighten up every once in awhile.:smirk: Hope that helps a little Brian.

BEAR

Reaction score
Right on, Vic!

Also, this is a part of an essay that I wrote regarding Sesame Street a few years ago on the subject...

Through Oscar's grouchiness, kids learn about positive and negative feelings. When he is grouchy, others on the Street take the time to understand him. They learn to accept him for who he is. Oscar shows kids that there are different kinds of people in the world and one person's opinion on something may not agree with someone else's opinion. Oscar represents that person. He makes the point that his opinions matter too. Maria, played by Sonia Manzano, says in Follow That Bird, Sesame Street's first movie, "…We're all happy here on Sesame Street…and we've got all kinds…Why, we've even got grouches!" (Geiss1985).

Also, Carroll Spinney once summed it up nicely by saying "A lot of people really are not evil or bad in their heart. Oscar has a heart of gold." And Oscar, not only likes trash, but he likes kids too, you can tell.