Index of shows where a segment appeared

Gordon Matt

Reaction score
First, I want to say thank you to whoever maintains the wealth of information at the Muppet Wikia site.

I appreciate all the info about the various scenes, Muppet segments and animated clips, where they first appeared or when their earliest "known" appearance was, etc.

I was trying to find a Muppet skit with Ernie and the Salesman (sometimes called Lefty) where the Salesman is trying to get Ernie to "buy an 8."

This is really just one example, but I know this is from Season 1 originally, but I have it "somewhere" in one of the Unpaved shows and it's definitely a later one. But I don't remember which one(s) have it.

Kind of like how the "King Of 8" is in a show from around 1985, even though it's circa 1970.

So is there any kind of database that tells which various shows (besides first or earliest known appearance) all these segments can be found?

I imagine compiling something like this would be a MASSIVE undertaking. But it would be very helpful.

Last edited:

Oscarfan

Reaction score
(not to self-back pat, but) The Wiki really is the best resource for this kind of thing and we're getting closer than ever before to having info on virtually the whole series.

The easiest way to find an episode using a certain segment is to go directly to the file page, which will show you the pages using that image. Doing this, I see the episode you're referring to is #3170 (which was part of 123 Sesame Street, not Unpaved).

Gordon Matt

Reaction score
(not to self-back pat, but) The Wiki really is the best resource for this kind of thing and we're getting closer than ever before to having info on virtually the whole series.

The easiest way to find an episode using a certain segment is to go directly to the file page, which will show you the pages using that image. Doing this, I see the episode you're referring to is #3170 (which was part of 123 Sesame Street, not Unpaved).
Thank you, I'll try that. Wow. I know I have all the Unpaved shows, but while I recorded a lot of 123s, I didn't succeed in getting all of them. I transferred all the Unpaveds to DVD-R years ago but didn't bother with the 123s so I guess it's back to the tapes if I can dig them out.

I do remember the "buy an 8" segment popping up as a "Deja Noggin" clip as well, so I know I have it "somewhere." Same thing with "Rubber Duckie," which I remember being in a 123, but not Unpaved. That one was also used as a "Deja Noggin" clip, but IIRC it had sing-along lyrics superimposed onto it. Of course, "Rubber Duckie" is on one of the "Old School" DVDs.

In a few cases, the "Deja Noggin" clips had things that AFAIK didn't appear in any shows in the regular rotation. From "The Electric Company" I remember the "T-I-O-N" animation (which was a favorite from my youth) and the Short Circus singing "Give Me Some Skin." From "Sesame Street" there was one with Big Bird singing "Somebody Come And Play."

It's like a jigsaw puzzle. But that's how these shows worked. Anything could pop up anywhere.

Last edited:

Gordon Matt

Reaction score

Thank you!

Silly question: How do I access the file page?

(EDIT: I tried searching File: followed by the file name. Seems to work.)

Last edited:

Oscarfan

Reaction score
Thank you!

Silly question: How do I access the file page?

(EDIT: I tried searching File: followed by the file name. Seems to work.)
Yes, you can do it that way, or if you click the image on a page, it brings up this box. Click on the file name at the top and it will bring you to the file page.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
It appeared mostly in Season 28. After the Season 29 appearance, it wouldn't be seen again until 2001, and then after THAT, it wouldn't be seen again until 2007, which was also its last appearance. I wonder why the two gaps?
I'm sure that after a while, it'd be hard to re-air every segment each season - even back when there were 130 episodes that did not have to dedicate portions of the show to fairly long daily segments like Elmo's World (and even if you ignore all the segments that were officially pulled from further airing). And the addition of Elmo's World coincided with reducing the number of episodes each season from 130 to 65, making it a little harder to air everything still in circulation each season. And now with the episodes lasting 30 minutes (and with its current format) it is really hard to air a lot of segments that aren't daily segments (but that's rather obvious).

Huh, not counting going back to 130 episodes a season in season 3 (when season 2 had 145 episodes), the first two major reducing of episodes per season - 65 in season 30 and 50 or so in season 33 - coincided with the additions of daily long segments that took up time that could have gone to shorter segments that wouldn't be required for each episode. I wonder if those contributed to why.

I like looking at the "what links here" pages and seeing how many episodes a segment is documented (I've been trying to determine what segment has been in the highest amount of episodes), not to mention interesting gaps between appearances. It is interesting to see if an episode was absent for a few seasons and then brought back, I'm thinking some went a long time without airing before randomly getting featured in an episode (sometimes for the very last time), it's especially interesting when certain classics stopped airing long before they stopped airing, say, 1970s segments, or if something like Rubber Duckie or C is for Cookie were absent from a few seasons before appearing in another episode (or before getting a new version to replace the old one).

crackmaster

Reaction score
I'm sure that after a while, it'd be hard to re-air every segment each season - even back when there were 130 episodes that did not have to dedicate portions of the show to fairly long daily segments like Elmo's World (and even if you ignore all the segments that were officially pulled from further airing). And the addition of Elmo's World coincided with reducing the number of episodes each season from 130 to 65, making it a little harder to air everything still in circulation each season. And now with the episodes lasting 30 minutes (and with its current format) it is really hard to air a lot of segments that aren't daily segments (but that's rather obvious).

Huh, not counting going back to 130 episodes a season in season 3 (when season 2 had 145 episodes), the first two major reducing of episodes per season - 65 in season 30 and 50 or so in season 33 - coincided with the additions of daily long segments that took up time that could have gone to shorter segments that wouldn't be required for each episode. I wonder if those contributed to why.

I like looking at the "what links here" pages and seeing how many episodes a segment is documented (I've been trying to determine what segment has been in the highest amount of episodes), not to mention interesting gaps between appearances. It is interesting to see if an episode was absent for a few seasons and then brought back, I'm thinking some went a long time without airing before randomly getting featured in an episode (sometimes for the very last time), it's especially interesting when certain classics stopped airing long before they stopped airing, say, 1970s segments, or if something like Rubber Duckie or C is for Cookie were absent from a few seasons before appearing in another episode (or before getting a new version to replace the old one).
Plus, somebody says they saw "AT" in 2005. Maybe it was a rerun of the 2001 appearance?