In the spirit of Halloween - your favorite movies to watch this time of year!

Speed Tracer

Reaction score
I've got a few I love. I do love the feeling of being scared during a movie - and for that I rely most often on The Thing (John Carpenter's), Suspiria, and The Shining. Sometimes I will succumb and start up The Exorcist... and man. I never watch that with people, or with the lights on. I watch it on my computer, with my studio speakers plugged in, wrapped in a blanket that never seems to be warm enough.

There's also The Frighteners, Shaun of the Dead, The Monster Squad, Evil Dead II... they're horror comedies, sure, but there's a sense of dread that works in each one because of how likable and fun the characters are.

And finally, there are movies I watch that aren't traditional horror movies per se, but something about them unsettles something in me. We're talking Requiem for a Dream, The Dark Crystal, A Serious Man, The Night of the Hunter, Twin Peaks: Fire Walk with Me... list goes on and on.

How about you guys? :batty: :scary: :crazy:

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
This year I discovered the 1986 film House, which is a sort of horror/comedy about a Vietnam Vet whose fears manifest in his haunted childhood home. Very funny at times, I'd recommend!

My father and I like watching some of the early Hollywood monster films; they just don't make them like that anymore! Plus I watch Peter Lorre films all year round anyway, lol.

I also usually make it a point to delve into childhood nostalgia with Garfield's Halloween Adventure, It's the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown and The Halloween That Almost Wasn't (I even wrote a Blog entry on it, hehe: http://herald7.wordpress.com/2008/10/28/a-rememberance-of-halloween-specials/)

Speed Tracer

Reaction score
This year I discovered the 1986 film House, which is a sort of horror/comedy about a Vietnam Vet whose fears manifest in his haunted childhood home. Very funny at times, I'd recommend!

My father and I like watching some of the early Hollywood monster films; they just don't make them like that anymore! Plus I watch Peter Lorre films all year round anyway, lol.
There's another great movie called House, a Japanese horror movie that is... very, very weird. Highly recommended, though. And speaking of Peter Lorre... M. Talk about scary. Hooph.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
There's another great movie called House, a Japanese horror movie that is... very, very weird. Highly recommended, though. And speaking of Peter Lorre... M. Talk about scary. Hooph.
Cool, what's that about? And oh yes, M, lol: "Just you wait, it won't be long. The man in black will soon be here. With his cleaver's blade so true. He'll make mincemeat out of you!"

Speed Tracer

Reaction score
Cool, what's that about? And oh yes, M, lol: "Just you wait, it won't be long. The man in black will soon be here. With his cleaver's blade so true. He'll make mincemeat out of you!"
I can't... really describe it. It's incredibly kooky. There's a cat.

Sgt Floyd

Reaction score
I watched Scream this year :/

I dont really have certain movies I like to watch on Halloween. And I was disappointed in the lack of movies on tv

newsmanfan

Reaction score
-----------------
I STILL say the original version of "The Haunting" rules all else! Yes, the silly-scary "House" is good, but skip the sequel. Other faves: the whole first season, pretty much, of "Millennium" and the "monster" eps of "X-Files" -- especially the creepy one about the inbred hillbilly family! Whoa!

I also love the old Vincent Price/Poe ripoffs which had very little to do with Poe and a lot to do with Vincent camping it up. Freaking wonderful! Ditto the original "House on Haunted Hill," with Vincent mugging every scene he's in as a deviously homicidal straight guy out to kill his cheating wife. Fun stuff with a spooky atmosphere.

------------------

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Yes, the silly-scary "House" is good, but skip the sequel.
I agree, the original "House" was great. The sequels you can skip. But then that's usually true of most films, hehe.

I also love the old Vincent Price/Poe ripoffs which had very little to do with Poe and a lot to do with Vincent camping it up.
Don't forget the ones Peter Lorre was in! :wink: