Identify this "Three Sesame Street Stories" illustration?

wiley207

Reaction score
Hey there, I am trying to identify an illustration from the 1985 "Three Sesame Street Stories" Golden Book Video adaptation of the "Wanted: The Great Cookie Thief" book. I remember learning that quite a few things were added into the video version that weren't in the book, as it was common for Golden Book Videos to pad out or add onto stories they were adapting. One notable thing they added was Cookie Monster committing cookie thefts in-between the yellow cowboy comparing the poster to Cookie Monster. The second theft involves Cookie stealing cookies from Betty Lou's birthday party. It appears at the 5:28 mark here...
I'd post a screencap, but I can't upload images on this forum. :insatiable:
That party illustration was definitely NOT in the original book. Neither was the stagecoach. but one thing I noticed about the party illustration was that it still appears to have been illustrated by Michael J. Smolin. But it appears to be from the early-to-mid 80s, when his illustrations were more on-model than his somewhat slapdash 70s work (as seen in "The Great Cookie Thief"'s illustrations.) I am guessing it came from another "Sesame Street" Golden Book from the early 80s Michael J. Smolin illustrated, but I am not sure which one. (I really doubt they would use illustrations from any of the Random House "Sesame Street" books at that time, because keep in mind this was a good 16 years before Random House acquired Golden Books.) Or maybe someone at Golden or Animagination Inc. hired Michael J. Smolin to illustrate it just for the video?
Anyone have any ideas/theories/answers?