How long do the puppets last?

Baby Gonzo

Reaction score
This is just a question that has been plaguing my mind for a while. How long does a commonly used Muppet last before they are worn out? How about Muppets that aren't used anymore? I know that sometimes there are Muppets on display in museums that need to be kept in a climate controlled environment. Are they that fragile? Are some more fragile than others?

Where these questions are coming from, I don't know. I was just curious.

BobThePizzaBoy

Reaction score
It's largely dependent on how much the puppet is used. It is only natural that the foam in the puppet's body will deterorate over time, that's a given. I have puppets that are eight years old and they, despite being pretty worn out on the inside, are still in performable shape on the outside. So I think the main Muppets probably can last a number of years before being rebuilt.

Oscarfan

Reaction score
They say it somewhere in Sesame Street Unpaved, but I can find my copy.

Nick22

Reaction score
i would really like to know too.

Xerus

Reaction score
I've also noticed that when they make a new Muppet of an old character, they sometimes take the old worn out Muppet and change it into a new character. I noticed that they took an old Cookie Monster Muppet and changed it into Cookie's Dad.

Ilikemuppets

Reaction score
I think that they do also have to be repaired every now and then. So that could also very well play a factor in how long they last.

AAO

Reaction score
This is just a question that has been plaguing my mind for a while. How long does a commonly used Muppet last before they are worn out? How about Muppets that aren't used anymore? I know that sometimes there are Muppets on display in museums that need to be kept in a climate controlled environment. Are they that fragile? Are some more fragile than others?

Where these questions are coming from, I don't know. I was just curious.
Commonly puppets are built to last for a good 3-5 years... there is the common wear and tear with seams and so forth but usually they'll be built to last. Some puppets are built just to mess up! Or for example: Miss Piggy in "Muppets Take Manhattan" when she puts on all that makeup..

They're ruining the puppet... But it's either been a "stunt piggy" or what have you that's been refurbished to be used for such a scene. Just like the scene with Miss Piggy in "Muppet Family Christmas" with the mud slinging from the taxi.

Big Bird gets refeathered every 4-5 years on account his feathers turn green under the studio lights after a while.

A lot of times you can notice how his feathers are replaced or put on differently from the last couple of seasons. You can also tell which puppet is which.

For instance, Bear in the Big Blue House... Around the end of the series, Bear had better eye blinks as well as seemed a bit bulkier. He was refurbished due to wear and tear and or rebuilt. Again, this is usually just something that has to be done or another reasoning is that there could be an added feature to the puppet. For instance, Treelo around the end of the series had eye-blinks! It gave him more expression..