How long did it take Caroll Spinney to learn to skate as Big Bird

DTF

Reaction score
Is he a good skater normally on roller skates? Does anyone know? I can't balance well at all, and barely did more than stand the time I tried to roller skate - and I could hardly do that on the hardwood skate floor, only on carpet.

Even if he could skate well, though, it would take him a good while to learn to skate in that Big Bird outfit, wouldn't it? We were talking about it at our church roller skating activity for kids, as a number of my fellow workers there recalled Big Bird roller skating - but none of us knew how long it took to learn. We all just agreed it had to be a *really* long time.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Oh you know, I've been wondering the same thing myself! That seems so hard to do!

minor muppetz

Reaction score
I know that before performing on Sesame Street, Caroll Spinney had experience roller skating while performing full-body characters on Bozo's Big Top.

Xerus

Reaction score
I also remember Big Bird riding a unicycle in the early episodes. That has to be tricky for Carroll trying to keep his balance with that huge costume on.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
At least Caroll was lucky enough to be able to learn these things. Embarassingly, I never could learn to roller skate, and the last time I tried, I permenantly fractured my tail bone!

Mickey Moose

Reaction score
minor muppetz said:
I know that before performing on Sesame Street, Caroll Spinney had experience roller skating while performing full-body characters on Bozo's Big Top.
Yeah, I think he mentioned that in his book, where they were going to get someone else to do the rollerskating scenes, but Caroll spoke up and said he could do it himself.

I'm not 100% sure, but I'm almost positive he mentioned that in the book.

Marky

Reaction score
Ummm, is it provien that it was him doing it (I assume we're talking of the 70's Christmas Special)?

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Marky said:
Ummm, is it provien that it was him doing it (I assume we're talking of the 70's Christmas Special)?
We're talking about roller skating, not ice skating.