How do you prefer to make puppets- latex puppets from a mold or making a foam puppet

monkeyjb1988

Reaction score
I was just wondering what people on the forum prefered. I would think latex, since you can do anyhting with clay. I'm just curious.

biblebetty

Reaction score
I prefer foam, I just have more fun with foam and I can do just about anything i want including hiding flaws. with latex it's hard work, you have to have some talent in molding clay, and a lot of patience with the pour and dry methold but I do love the results. But with foam I can produce something in very little time. the time consumeing part is the imagination or if you are trying to create a moving mouth puppet.

wes

Reaction score
at one time i was totally against Latex, I heard alot of people say it breaks down fast. I am know on the fence, I have a friend whos is letting us use his axtell puppet and I'm loving it. It's Really funny looking and easy to use. Beside my hand getting all sweaty and stinky when I use it I like it. Know I'm waiting to see how it hold up!

But making puppets I have never made a Latex puppet I tried never got the Latex and got stumped and the mold and casting phase. One day i'll try for now i'll stick with foam!

dkmontgomery

Reaction score
Axtell

I have consulted with some various sources on latex puppet making, but have never persued it. I have always used foam & fleece, ect....I do happen to own several of Axtell's latex puppets and have used them for years. You do have to take extremely good care in storing and cleaning the latex puppets. Armor All is very helpful in keeping latex looking good and also aids in the life of the character. A few of my frequently used latex puppets have started to crack inside the mouth some. I was told that I could get a head replacement performed on one character for a small fee from Axtell. Which was not a bad deal. The characters are excellent. :smile:

hennesprod

Reaction score
I love Latex!

I am a huge fan of latex! I have building and casting puppets in latex for over 16 years! Get stuff!

William

MGov

Reaction score
I've been experimenting with latex. It is great stuff. While it is time consuming at the beginning (design and sculpt the head, cast it in hydrocal or ultra cal, cast the foam latex, screw it up, do it again), you will have the molds available to use again.

And I generally hate hand sewing. I do it but I hate it.

wes

Reaction score
And I generally hate hand sewing. I do it but I hate it.
that sounded like Red skeltons famous characters, Junior!:smile:

I love it, It relaxes me as long as no one bothers me.

Ill have to experiment one day with latex!