How do you go about fixing stuck joints?

IMDWalrus

Reaction score
Okay...I'm new here, and I'm sure that this has been asked before. I did a quick search, though, and didn't find a real answer for the question in the results...so go easy on me, please. :smile:

I opened my Clifford figure today and tried to get him set up for display on my desk. There's a minor issue, though: his right elbow joint doesn't move at all. The left one is a bit stiff, but I'm worried that if I put any more force on the right elbow I'll break his arm off.

Are there any good ways to loosen up joints on the figures? I'd really like it if Clifford was able to move his elbow, if that's at all possible...

Whatever

Reaction score
stick it in the freezer for a while, or boil it very carefully.

Whatever

Reaction score
IMDWalrus said:
What does that do, exactly?
loosens the stuck joint
I'd try the freezer first though, seems to me if you boil it you run the risk of melting the plastic.

Harvey Towers

Reaction score
The Palisades site would advise against freezing but say to pull the join as if you are puylling it off as you try to twist it. If paint has dried over the joint, you could to to scrape it away carefully.

My Clifford's elbow joints hardly move at all and its like their not meant to, but I don't want to try and force it so make do. Hey, he can stand and I can move the arms from the shoulders.

Vic Romano

Reaction score
Absolutely positively DO NOT FREEZE the figure, it may seem like it works, but it's un-success rate is much higher, you can actually snap the arm off. Most any significant temprature change technique is ill advised and Palisades does not recommend it. I've had luck just patiently "rocking" the joint back and forth and gradually increasing pressure on the joint. Just take your time.

GelflingWaldo

Reaction score
I would avoid freezing or boiling. Although some people have had sucess with these methods, I've hear some people share their personal horror stories of these methods - snapping parts off, removing paint, warpping parts, or shattering parts. Just slowly and gently work the joint to loosen it; I've found that works best and can avoid ruining the figure.