Hoodwinked Sequel This April

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
"Hoodwinked Too" finally gets a release date this April 29th opposite "Fast Five" ("Fast and Furious" sequel), "Prom" (a Disney kid flick) and "There Be Dragons" (a Spanish Civil War drama) with "13 Assassins" (Japanese foreign film) and "The Troll Hunter" (Norway foreign film) in limited release. What could this mean for the Fraggle Movie? We'll see...:coy:

Drtooth

Reaction score
Consider this. The FR movie was no where near filming stage since the script was approved 3 times in a row and the wheels were in motion and things were supposedly happening. This film has Weinstine as a distributor. They had nothing to do with production and EVERYTHING to do with sitting on it for well over a year.

I stated this in the FR movie thread, actually... but this line doesn't give me all that confidence..

You’ll see that the sequel is distinctly different from the original in look and tone, but a film is shaped by its director and I did not direct this one. Forgive the abundance of fart jokes and crotch kicks — those were not in the script we wrote (okay, ONE… but that was really a “nerve gas joke”). Also, this trailer has some sound effects and lines that aren’t even in the movie. I guess the Weinstein machine thought it needed ONE more fart sound and ONE more joke about Twitchy not wearing pants. It’s weird to write something four years ago, have it evolve in others’ hands, and then finally see it hit the screen. And I’m going to miss the unique musical stamp Todd put on the first movie with all his original songs — not here on this one.
Now, I'm sure half of that is just trailer trash (a colloquialism we should all coin... [n] substances in a movie exaggerated, implied, or non-present taken out of context to seem "funnier.")... Disney actually added farts and burps that weren't there when re-releasing Jungle Book and 101 Dalmatians that were ONLY in the commercials. I'd hate to see fart jokes added in the trailer of the Muppet Movie... I really would.

I still think nothing short of a miracle will have FR produced, unless Henson hauls away from Weinstine ASAP. But at least a movie that was completely completed will be released with them, again, as a distributor.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Did people even like the first Hoodwinked for it to get a sequel? But then again, it's like I said before, I can't wrap my head around the concept of Open Season 3, and I didn't even know there was a number 2.

Drtooth

Reaction score
That's what I'm wondering. I guess it's all a matter of franchise theory. Evey studio wants to have a Shrek, I guess. Again, I don't count Toy Story in so much as Disney wanted a second DTV Toy Story movie, and Pixar made a theatrical quality one, and the fact that Disney threatened to make their own before they were bought up, and they decided to do THEIR third film.

Now I never saw, nor felt compelled to see Hoodwinked at all. I still haven't. I don't know if I even want to bother with this one. And yet, Dreamworks refuses to do another Monsters Vs Aliens because it didn't do well in one foreign market. I DON'T get it!

However, Sony has yet to make a movie that isn't a waste of animator time and effort, and I wouldn't put it past them to do "Cloudier with even MOAR Meatballs" where a bunch of aliens and ninjas want to steal the technology to make food to grow beans to make bigger farts for some reason... or "Surf's Up... but this time they're NOT Surfing, but Disco Dancing on Pluto!" Really... Open Season? Open Season 2? And a third one where they're in the circus? A plot device lifted from the third Madagascar movie? I like Madagascar, and the sequel was alright... but I'm not going to bother with the third one.

Wasn't the second OS movie based on the "Who let the Dogs out?" novelty song from a buzzillion years ago?

Blue Weirdo

Reaction score
I loved Hoodwinked and have been waiting impatiently for the sequel. They announced they were planning it back when the first one was still in theaters! In fact they said they wanted to do a trilogy but after all this I'm highly doubtful we'll see a third one.

The animation looks different but that doesn't bother me too much. I don't think it will be quite as good as the first but it should still be fun. After all this time it better be!

Drtooth

Reaction score
I loved Hoodwinked and have been waiting impatiently for the sequel. They announced they were planning it back when the first one was still in theaters! In fact they said they wanted to do a trilogy but after all this I'm highly doubtful we'll see a third one.
If this does well enough, and they move to a DIFFERENT distributor, there could be a chance. I just may see this, but I dunno... I REALLY want to see Rango... this one looks like it has potential to be a lot more fun than the Gnome thing and Mars needs Motion capture... And I do love Patrick Warburton... he's good in everything EXCEPT Rules of Engagement... which is just a terrible show anyway.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
And I do love Patrick Warburton... he's good in everything EXCEPT Rules of Engagement... which is just a terrible show anyway.
I'm not much for modern TV anyway, but I completely agree, I love how well Patrick Warburton can adapt to each of his roles, be it in a live-action show or movie, or doing voice work... he's just that good... he can be calm, collected, sort of dead pan one minute, then go completely bezerk and ballistic the next.

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
Hoodwinked made $51 million domestically, $110 million at the worldwide box office and it likely didn't cost that much to make. The shoestring budget was never disclosed, but it's my assumption that it fell under $25 million and by that standard it was a healthy hit. It was a bold experiment in independent computer animated film making so the animation wasn't stellar, but the art and character design made up for a lot of those shortcomings and gave us a fairytale movie without the gross-out Shrek humor.

The cult following gave the Weinsteins an option for a sequel, yet it appears they may have abandoned much of the magic that made the original a cult classic. Altering Cory's voice for Twitchy in order to make him sound like the Chipmunks is one of those strange missteps along with the easy shots at crass humor. I'm still supporting it a the box office and hope Fraggle Rock fans will too because my guess is that it could only help speed things along. However, I now have more misgivings about Weinstein Fraggles considering the Hoodwinked treatment. Let's hope the fraggly spirit prevails. :excited:

Drtooth

Reaction score
I like it when he plays musclebound airheads, like Kronk from Emperor's New Groove (funny thing, ROE has both Warburton and David Spade... I THOUGHT I'd like it because they're both from Emperor's New Groove)... and he was the only one that was having fun in that meh Tick live action series.

The cult following gave the Weinsteins an option for a sequel, yet it appears they may have abandoned much of the magic that made the original a cult classic. Altering Cory's voice for Twitchy in order to make him sound like the Chipmunks is one of those strange missteps along with the easy shots at crass humor. I'm still supporting it a the box office and hope Fraggle Rock fans will too because my guess is that it could only help speed things along. However, I now have more misgivings about Weinstein Fraggles considering the Hoodwinked treatment. Let's hope the fraggly spirit prevails.
Sounds like the reason for the delay was to "tinker" with it. You know, like taking a peanut butter and jelly sandwich and putting pickles in it because "pickle" is a funny sounding word... then adding mustard because it tastes great on another sandwich... and then setting the thing on fire because "fire look cool!"

I wholeheartedly agree... the Fraggle Rock movie, should it ever get made, is in shifty, dangerous hands. I can totally see where the "edginess" they want comes from. I'd hate to see FR turn into another loud, crass, offensive display... or WORSE... Another Garfield/Alvin and the Chipmunks/Yogi Bear movie where the central character is a personality devoid loser trying to get some "Family Friendly" throughout the movie, with the antics of the characters the film is named after as a framing device.

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
I like it when he plays musclebound airheads, like Kronk from Emperor's New Groove (funny thing, ROE has both Warburton and David Spade... I THOUGHT I'd like it because they're both from Emperor's New Groove)... and he was the only one that was having fun in that meh Tick live action series.

Sounds like the reason for the delay was to "tinker" with it. You know, like taking a peanut butter and jelly sandwich and putting pickles in it because "pickle" is a funny sounding word... then adding mustard because it tastes great on another sandwich... and then setting the thing on fire because "fire look cool!"

I wholeheartedly agree... the Fraggle Rock movie, should it ever get made, is in shifty, dangerous hands. I can totally see where the "edginess" they want comes from. I'd hate to see FR turn into another loud, crass, offensive display... or WORSE... Another Garfield/Alvin and the Chipmunks/Yogi Bear movie where the central character is a personality devoid loser trying to get some "Family Friendly" throughout the movie, with the antics of the characters the film is named after as a framing device.
I've defended the unknown developments at Weinstein. However, after hearing this latest one with Hoodwinked Too, I am now officially concerned that they want to give the Fraggles a dreadful Muppets From Space or Elmo in Grouchland sort of treatment instead of just allowing the Fraggles to be the Fraggles.