Historical Muppet fanfiction?

bazingababe24

Reaction score
Before I begin, I should note that tvtropes.org sums up "historical fiction" as "fanfiction about real life".

I found Jim’s high school yearbook (Northwestern High School Compass, 1954) on a vintage yearbook website. I got a 24-hour pass, which cost me about $1.99, and I looked at it. Looking at his senior picture, and the others he appeared in, there was nothing outwardly special about him. He was very tall and very dorky.:smile: But I began to wonder what it would’ve been like to know him in high school. Did he have a lot of friends, or was he kind of an outsider? Did anyone else pick up on his potential before it was realized? Was anyone secretly in love with him?

Would this be too out of line an idea for a fanfiction? WDYGT?

RedPiggy

Reaction score
I've seen Muppeteers included as cameos in fanfics around here, in the spirit of the official stuff. While there could be great storytelling potential, basing an entire fic on a real person (particularly one who's no longer around) MIGHT ruffle too many feathers, but that's just a theory.

Redsonga

Reaction score
The trouble is basing a story on a real person, let alone someone who has passed away, let alone someone that made the muppets..I think that would be very ify. I don't even feel right putting my best friends in fanfic and I've known many of them my whole lifes. Their is just so much you could get wrong about what they would and won't do :\

Muppetfan44

Reaction score
I think the main thing to keep in mind is that it's still supposed to be fiction at some level- I dont' think anyone would or should expect you to get everything right- it's the way you see his life and his story; there's always going to be that creative element.

I think you should do what you want to do- so if you want to write the story-go ahead. Don't worry about what others would think or about whose feathers you could ruffle, especially Sam Eagle's, lol.

In the words of one of my favorite fan-fiction writers here- write because you want to write. I've written all of my fan-fics because I wanted to. It's nice when other people enjoy them but if they don't, it's their loss- I loved writing them and will continue to do so as long as it makes me happy.

I hope this helps

Redsonga

Reaction score
I've always...the idea of writing fanfic about certain *real people* and not characters they played or whatever has always made me uneasy. I mean, there is just so much you could do so very wrong and unlike a fiction character it's not just a matter of how you view the person, but something about how they really were? I dunno...

bazingababe24

Reaction score
These are the kind of reactions I thought I was going to get.:smirk: That’s okay, though, because that’s why I asked you guys first. It was purely a brainstorm, and the ideas sound good on paper, but it's true --- they’re still about real people. If I run the risk of unintentionally disrespecting or offending someone, which I would be afraid of doing in a situation like this, it’s a no-go. Not that I would speak ill of the dead ever, especially Jim! (Well, maybe Charlie Sheen, once he gets there.):boo:

Thanks for your feedback and your honesty!:smile:

GonzoLeaper

Reaction score
This idea is intriguing for story potential. To be fair, historical fiction writers do this kind of thing all the time. It's just that they use people who have been dead a lot longer.
A number of science fiction/fantasy authors have done this- Philip K. Dick, Isaac Asimov, H.G. Wells and of course Harry Turtledove has a whole series of books like this. So it's not unprecedented or anything.
But I do agree that you would want to be extremely careful about the characterization of Jim Henson, especially since he's the guy who created all the Muppets. Of course, if done correctly, I get the feeling he'd probably be touched and get a kick out of it. That's just my feeling though.
It reminds me of "George Lucas in Love"- a fan video that imagines George Lucas as a kid in college getting ideas for Star Wars. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_Lucas_in_Love
George Lucas enjoyed it pretty well, from what I understand.
Anyway, if you wanted to do it for yourself or whatever, I think it could be a good story. It might be funny to discover backstories of people Jim met that inspired later characters like Crazy Harry (who we know was based on a real person, for example) and others.

GonzoLeaper

Reaction score
And yes- I definitely agree we shouldn't be speaking ill of the dead. Better yet, I don't think we should speak ill of anyone- and that includes Charlie Sheen. I don't like everything he's done, but I still enjoy his performances as an actor in "Ferris Bueller's Day Off" and "Lucas", "Red Dawn" and the "Major League" movies.