Habemus Papum!

Don'tLiveonMoon

Reaction score
There is now a new Pope. I'm a bit surprised it only took four votes, but since it didn't take too long I guess I'm not too surprised that Cardinal Ratzinger was chosen. It wasn't a big shock like when John Paul II was elected. It will be interesting to see what happens next...
Erin

Whatever

Reaction score
I'm really pleased that he's German! He is from Bavaria though which is like a German Texas. Oh well. It shows that people are starting to accept Germans finally after WWII. A soldier from Hitler's army was elected Pope. Imagine.

Don'tLiveonMoon

Reaction score
Yeah, that's interesting. I heard a lot of people bringing that up in the past couple days thinking it might hurt his chances, but it sounds like he didn't really have much choice in the matter. I don't think he was really an active participant in anything. Cathi says she doesn't like him; I think he strikes her as old-fashioned and unfriendly. But I guess we'll just have to wait and see.
Erin

Kimp the Shrimp

Reaction score
I don't think a Nazi solider should have been Pope his actions overshadow his beliefs on this.

Another intresting fact I heard yesterday was that the 20th Cent. was the deadliest for Cathlics more Cathlics diedfor their beliefs btw 1900-1999 then all one thousend eight hundred and ninty nine years before , even during the Crusades. source NPR Radio 19-april-2005

Whatever

Reaction score
Kimp the Shrimp said:
I don't think a Nazi solider should have been Pope his actions overshadow his beliefs on this.
Dude, he was forcibly drafted. You didn't have a choice to be a soldier or not. He did desert from it.

Kimp the Shrimp

Reaction score
Whatever said:
Dude, he was forcibly drafted. You didn't have a coice to be a soldier or not. He did desert from it.
what do you mean he "deserted" from it?

Whatever

Reaction score
Kimp the Shrimp said:
what do you mean he "deserted" from it?
What does deserted usually mean? He went AWOL. At least acording to what I read.

Don'tLiveonMoon

Reaction score
That's what I read, and that he was captured by Americans back in his hometown and put into a POW camp.
Erin

Kimp the Shrimp

Reaction score
Whatever said:
What does deserted usually mean? He went AWOL. At least acording to what I read.
That's what I read, and that he was captured by Americans back in his hometown and put into a POW camp.
ok i never read that?

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
I didn't realize that he had been in Hitler's army, which is odd that he was because when I found out he was German I did an editorial cartoon of sorts (to irritate my Catholic co-worker--who it didn't bother) of a pope with a nazi symbol on his arm aiming a gun at a man wearing the Star of David saying "God Bless You" in German (I looked the translation up). Finding out he was part of Hitler's army (forced or not, although he did go AWOL with his brother {I think}) and that idea popped into my head has me worried...

BECAUSE...

My co worker I mentioend before has been a nervous wreck since Pope John Paul II died. She printed off some papers a few days later with prophecies from an earlier pope, and yesterday handed me those papers when the name Pope Benedict 16 was announced. She's all frantic now.

Per these prophecies, when this pope comes into office it will be the start of a 7 year tribulation. When he dies the last pope will come into office and so will start the end of the world because the last pope will be the antichrist.

So, what does all this mean? I dunno. I don't know anything except about cartooning and puppetry, but SHE thinks it's all relative and is worried.

Truth? Fiction? I dunno, but here's some links she gave me if you wanna have a look see:
http://www.jpdawson.com/lastpope.html

http://www.catholic-pages.com/grabbag/malachy.asp
This is the site that coincides with what she was discussing with me: Pope John Paul II was Pope # 266, and before the new pope was just announced that he was taking the name Bendict, this is what is said about Pope # 267 in the Malachy prophecies:
Gloria olivæ
The Benedictine order traditionally said this Pope would come from their order.
Followed by the info for Pope# 268:
In persecutione extrema S.R.E. sedebit Petrus Romanus, qui pascet oves in multis tribulationibus: quibus transactis civitas septicollis diruetur, & Judex tremêdus judicabit populum suum. Finis.
(In extreme persecution, the seat of the Holy Roman Church will be occupied by Peter the Roman, who will feed the sheep through many tribulations, at the term of which the city of seven hills will be destroyed, and the formidable Judge will judge his people. The End.)
http://www.bibleprobe.com/last10popes.htm

http://www.newsmax.com/archives/ic/2005/4/3/180901.shtml