Guy Smiley - Scary looking???

billyk

Reaction score
I don't know why, but Guy Smiley always freaked me out. I was afraid of him almost always. Especially in the sketch where he was in the movie theater with Ernie & Bert and says "Do You Mind!??" in a different tone than when he was on his game shows. Another place where he scared me as a kid was on SS News flash where he played prince chamring in Sleeping Beauty where he kept coming toward the princess to kiss her and thus coming nearer and nearer to the camera.

Maybe it was his mouth, or maybe it was his eyebrows - maybe even his head. I don't know what freaked me out about him though.

I even had nightmares of him when I was little.

Link Hogthrob

Reaction score
Good news...you weren't scared of Guy Smiley. You were scared of Prince Charming. In fact, they are the same puppet, but with a different voice. Guy Smiley was voiced by Jim Henson and usually begins his appearance by saying "this IS Guy Smiley, America's favorite game show host!" Prince Charming was voiced by Frank Oz and had a deeper voice. Prince Charming was the character in both sketches you were referring to, so hopefully you can come to embrace the entity that is Guy! :big_grin:

billyk

Reaction score
So, Prince Charming is in the movie theater scene with Guy Smiley's clothes on?

BTW, his voice in the movie theater doesn't sound like either JH or FO.

Sounds like Richard Hunt.

BTW, have you noticed in that movie scene w/ Ernie, Bert & Guy Smiley/Prince Charming, that the guy with the gray hair and glasses - near the end he gets up to yell at Bert, his glasses are hanging off his ear from moving so much. I found that part funny.

HA HA HA HA

Splurge

Reaction score
billyk said:
So, Prince Charming is in the movie theater scene with Guy Smiley's clothes on?

BTW, his voice in the movie theater doesn't sound like either JH or FO.

Sounds like Richard Hunt.
That is Richard Hunt. So is the girl Anything Muppet next to him.

Interestingly enough, when Jim is doing Guy Smiley singing, he sings in a voice like Link Hogthrob. In one skit he changed from his speaking voice to his singing voice.

That's why I think Richard did a good job of emulating Guy Smiley's lower voice.

roadrat15

Reaction score
[When i was little I use to freak out at Prince Charming going off his head at Rapunzel. Now I think it's a masterpiece! :big_grin:

punkNpuppets

Reaction score
that Spaceship Surprise scared the bejeevers out of me........but not cuz of how the captain looked...it was cuz of how he TALKED....but u all know my fears of it, i've mentioned it on a whole bunch of threads

billyk

Reaction score
It's funny now though regarding GS, when I see him, he's funny!!

There's been 1 or 2 game shows (maybe even more) that when he come out from behind the curtin, he somehow gets stuck in the curtin and he's talking so enthusiasticly "Welcome to the .... show, this is Guy Smiley".

There's one where he has his back to the audience/camera talking like that, then he realizes that he's out from behind the curtin.

Of course, then there's the classic Rapunzel skit where PC goes ballistic.m Almost like saying..."Shut up you c..t!!" or "You B***h" or whatever. He gets so ****** off it's hillarious. Of course, he's so into himself in the 1st place.

Funny as **** nowadays.

WereFox

Reaction score
I was afraid his upper jaw would separate from the lower. That be creepy!

MuppetSpot

Reaction score
The Guy Smiley puppet look fine, but look scary in the Gund plush. See for your self. Also this isn't mine but, I do own one.