Going in for surgery

jediX

Reaction score
Hey, everyone. As a few of you already know, I will be going in for surgery on this coming Thursday, December first. Starting on this coming Tuesday (the 29th), I will not be online at all for a minimum two weeks because my gf is staying with me to assist with the recovery and I will be unable to do much more than watch tv during that time.

I have what is called pilonidal disease, which is a cyst at the tailbone that causes extreme pain when infected. It exists at birth or can be caused by obesity (for me, it is genetic, because my Uncle had it as well) and lies dormant for years until the early twenties when it becomes infected for the first time. This is really all the necessary information since the rest is rather graphic and not MC-appropriate. You can always look it up (there are several sites), but expect to find some really nasty images. Don't say I didn't warn you about those.

I had my first experience back in August when I began to experience some discomfort in sitting, but I thought it was from sitting in an old office chair with worn-out padding. However, one day it simply was too painful to do anything. I could not sit, stand, walk, lay, etc without feeling paralyzing (literally, trust me on this) pain. In fact, some females say it is very close to labor pains. During the period of three days in which it was infected, the pain was so extreme that I could only sleep about twenty minutes at a time and that was a rare occurrence. Thankfully, I was diagnosed quickly and was back to normal in a couple days. Since, it has only shown the usual symptoms (again, not MC-friendly information) and I have dealt with minor discomfort.

However, there is a small chance that something worse could develop and therefore I opted to have a cystectomy to remove it. Unfortunately, the price that this carries is a recovery period of about five months to a year. If infection occurs during recovery, it could be fatal. I hope that this won't be the case, but you never know. You need to have all your bases covered, so that's why I started this thread.

Hopefully, I should be up and back to normal within a couple weeks, but I frankly do not know. The odds of infection during recovery are extremely low so long as you take care of the open post-op wound -- which I will be doing anyway -- so I'm not too worried about that. I am worried about the actual surgery because the only times I've ever had surgery, they were both dental (wisdom teeth removal and a tooth pull for a tooth that I had two baby teeth of).

Katzi428

Reaction score
Oh WOW! JediX....good luck with your surgery & I hope you feel better soon.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Oh man, that sounds rough. Hang in there jedix, we'll be a-waitin' for you!

Barry Lee

Reaction score
JediX don't worry man, I've been through about 20 surguries, you'll be fine! Tell me how it went and hope you have a great recovery!!

Beauregard

Reaction score
...As I said before, Jedi, I will be praying for you...

abiraniriba

Reaction score
I'll be praying for you

I hope you do ok I'll keep you in my prayers. I've only had one surgery in my adult life. It was for a hernia. The surgery went okay, but somebody in the billing department screwed up I got 2 bills 1 for an appendectomy and the other for a female procedure.:big_grin: As is well known by almost everyone on this board I am a male so the second bill was the biggest mistake. Anyway I went down to the hospital's billing department and they said they would fix it, I'm now waiting for the corrected bill.

Fragglemuppet

Reaction score
That's aweful, good luck! The surgery itself will be nothing, so don't worry about that. Save your emotional strength for afterwards, when you will need to use such caution, and be so diligent in taking care of yourself. I'm glad you have someone to stay with you, and help you recover. I have no doubt that you will be fine though.
Good luck!

Vic Romano

Reaction score
Good luck, Matt; we'll be looking forward to your return and have a very speedy recovery!