Freddie Blassie Dies at age 85

Jackie

Reaction score
I know there are a few wrestling fans on the board, and being a former wrestling fan myself Freddie Blassie was always an inspiration. He was a brave man that saw a lot of things in his lifetime. He truly lived life to the fullest and I wish I would be able to say the same thing when I pass away. I'll miss Freddie Blassie

http://tv.yahoo.com/news/ap/20030604/105473238000.html

Pro Wrestler Freddie Blassie Dies at 85
Wednesday June 4 6:13 AM ET

Professional wrestler Freddie Blassie, who became a cult figure to fans by playing the villain inside the ring during the 1950s and 1960s, has died. He was 85.

Blassie died of heart failure June 2 in Hartsdale, N.Y., former wrestling publicist Jeff Walton told the Los Angeles Times.

Born Fred Blassman in St. Louis, Blassie played baseball and football in high school. He joined the Navy at the start of World War II and started wrestling initially under the name of Sailor Fred Blassie while stationed at Port Hueneme in California.

Following the war, he continued to wrestle professionally in the Midwest. He liked to use a variety of names but had trouble gaining the affection of fans who gravitated toward the likes of Lou Thesz and Gorgeous George.

It wasn't until he moved to the West Coast that fans began supporting him. Blassie began portraying himself as a villain and it worked. The nastier he was in the ring, the more popular he became to fans.

Blassie also mastered the television interview, boasting his superiority over other wrestlers he liked to call "pencil-neck geeks." Those colorful interviews helped make him a celebrity in the newly expanding medium of television.

He won the WWA World Heavyweight Wrestling Championship from French star Edouard Carpentier at the Los Angeles Sports Arena in 1961. Blassie also held various regional titles, including the WWA World Title on five separate occasions, the Americas' Heavyweight Title nine times and tag team belts with various partners over the years.

Blassie also was seen with comedian Andy Kaufman in "My Breakfast With Blassie," a 1983 spoof of "My Dinner With Andre."

He retired from competition in the late 1970s to manage a new generation of wrestlers such as Hulk Hogan. He worked for the World Wrestling Federation, now known as World Wrestling Entertainment. He did an advice segment on the "Tuesday Night Titans" TV program, made personal appearances and did radio interviews.

Blassie is survived by his wife, Miyako, and three children.

Luke

Reaction score
Yeah i was really sad to hear this, he only appeared on a WWE show the other week i think. Shame about Miss Elizabeth too !

They will all be missed, i knew both Owen Hart and Davey Boy Smith for a while and can't believe i was only chatting to those guys about five years ago, even after leaving school (which doesn't seem like a lifetime ago) and now they are totally gone !

:frown:

Buck-Beaver

Reaction score
:cry:

This is really a shame....I rarely catch RAW any more, but watched it a few weeks ago when they had a storyline running about Freddie. He was back to promote his Biography which just came out about a month ago. WWE Confidential also profiled him recently.

I wonder if they did a tribute on RAW this week, or maybe they will do something on Smackdown! tonight instead.

Rest in peace Freddie.