Farscape mini-series in development for 2004

Chilly Down

Reaction score
I just saw this, posted today at TVGuide.com:

FAR OUT!: Hey, 'Scapers — this is the news you've been waiting for! The Jim Henson Company is holding a press conference Thursday to "announce an exciting new development in the campaign to continue Farscape." Among those participating in the media pow-wow: Series creator Rockne S. O'Bannon and exec producers Brian Henson and David Kemper. They better not be unveiling the 2003 Farscape Christmas ornament.

--------------------------------

Then I saw this from DarkHorizons.com:

Farscape (TV): The cancelled but highly acclaimed Sci-Fi Channel series which had its plug pulled earlier this year may be making a comeback. Last week an insider sent along this rumour: "Farscape is back in production - the series is to be wrapped up in 4-6 new episodes with the usual crew, cast and producers. The props and sets are being dusted off and are being assembled in preparation for filming in Sydney. The new mini-season will complete the story arc and bring closure". An interesting story and a solid source but still it sounded almost like wishful thinking and as there still hasn't been any official announcement about it I held off. After all, you would've thought Sci-Fi would have shouted it from the rooftops that its coming back to appease the ravenous fans of the show (incl. me). Then some people I know connected with the show started mentioning it's coming back and its confirmed that the Sydney production office is open again. I placed three separate calls to them on Tuesday to confirm/deny the rumours and all three calls were not only summarily cut off at their end but the secretary hurled nasty insults (courtesy is a dying art) - I've never had problems with these guys before so best guess would be they've been advised not to speak to press at all (which would explain the lack of coverage locally). That would also explain that when I got in contact with a US publicity rep for Sci-Fi, they said they couldn't comment on it at this time but will be releasing details when they're available soon. Something IS stirring, I guess we'll have to wait to find out what exactly.

---------------------------------

Just to clarify: the press conference tomorrow is fact. At the moment, the idea of 6 new episodes to wrap up the series is just rumor. Tomorrow we'll know for sure.

Can't wait!!

Chilly Down

Reaction score
Addendum

Sorry, folks. Should have known it was too good to be true. Here's the latest from SaveFarscape.com:

According to SaveFarscape.com:
"you may have seen the reports of a possible Farscape related press conference set for tomorrow, at TVGuide.com, Dark Horizons or Cinescape. The word from Henson as of 2:30 pm pacific time, is that any press conference has been postponed indefinitely and that they have no further information on the situation."

AAARGH! :grouchy: :attitude: :boo:

Chilly Down

Reaction score
A beacon of hope...

And I'm right back to being optimistic again. First, there's this from TVGuide.com:

"That Farscape press conference we told you about yesterday, during which producers were going to "announce an exciting new development in the campaign to continue" the franchise, has been postponed, a rep for the Jim Henson Company confirms. But never fear, 'Scapers. Sources tell me the media event will be rescheduled for sometime next week. (And trust me, it'll be well worth the wait.)"

My reaction to this was, "We'll see, I guess. But then Secret Squirrel posted this over at TP:

"I understand the mini series is very close. 8 episodes is the number I've heard. Cast and crew are returning where possible."

For those of you who don't know, Secret Squirrel is an anoymous poster who is believed to work for the Henson Company. Phil may know his identity, but most of us don't. At any rate, his information has always been 100% reliable in the past. So this is exciting news indeed! Can't wait for the official announcement.

Joe

Reaction score
here's another article from ain't it cool news, which tells about when the press conference might take place.

---
According to a Wednesday Dark Horizons report, an “insider” indicates “Farscape” is “back in production” and will be back with “4-6 new episodes.”
According to a WednesdayTV Guide Online report, Rockne S. O'Bannon and Brian Henson were supposed to have participated in a Thursday press conference to "announce an exciting new development in the campaign to continue Farscape," but that press conference apparently did not transpire.
Much of the show’s cast and crew are expected to attend a big “Farscape” convention here in Los Angeles this weekend, so we’ll likely be hearing something soon.
---
http://www.aintitcool.com/display.cgi?id=16501

Chilly Down

Reaction score
Still more reports (nothing official yet, though. Keep in mind that "Confirmed" and "The Rumors are True" are their words, not mine):

http://filmforce.ign.com/articles/440/440604p1.html

Confirmed: Farscape Miniseries on the Way!
The rumors are true...

November 14, 2003 - As IGN FilmForce reported back in July, a new
Farscape project is finally on its way. While an official
announcement was postponed earlier this week, IGN FilmForce has
learned that the production office in Australia has re-opened and
work has begun on a new project.

The Henson company would not comment on the information but a source
close to the production has confirmed that the new project will be a
miniseries, not a new season as originally hoped for by the fans.
While no plot details are available, sources have also confirmed that
the new project will be independent from the Sci-Fi Channel, the
network that broadcast the series. No information is currently
available about just where the new miniseries will be appearing or
when.

Obviously, this is good news for the fans that have fought so hard to
bring the series back but there may be cause for guarded optimism.
The miniseries is currently seen as a standalone project with no new
episode commitment attached, so nothing is guaranteed beyond this
project. More information as it becomes available right here at
IGNFF.

-- KJB

Chilly Down

Reaction score
http://www.aint-it-cool-news.com/display.cgi?id=16501

Ain't It Cool News reports that Farscape will return as a 4-hour miniseries with Brian directing.

Then comes this from TVGuide.com:

SO NEAR, SO FARSCAPE: Frellin' awesome!! As reported in next week's TV
Guide magazine, the Jim Henson Company is producing a four-hour
Farscape miniseries that will tie up the loose ends left dangling when
the cult hit was prematurely axed last year by Sci Fi Channel. "It's
an epic conclusion to the series," confides a source. The project —
which will reunite leads Ben Browder and Claudia Black — will start
shooting in December in Australia. Since the telefilm is unlikely to
air on Sci Fi, word is it may be sold into syndication. So there!

--------------------

Please keep in mind that NONE of this is official. So when will we get the press conference already??

Phillip

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Here's some more info on Farscape from a trusted source. Apparently, the press conference is being held back until later in December due to finalizing what network the Farscape mini-series will air. As has been rumored, Farscape will return though in the form of a mini-series most likely in 2004.

Hopefully, Henson's official announcement will arrive soon. What a great Christmas gift for all the Scapers out there!

Selena

Reaction score
To the Cast and Crew of Farscape

Farscape has received a reprise,
Saved by dear Brian from an untimely demise.
What will the new series hold in store?
Will our heroes thrill us as they did before?

That it will be good, we have no doubts,
But one can just ponder about the routes.
Will Aeryn and John find wedded bliss?
Or will they again have vile foes to dismiss?

As is the custom, will their plans go astray?
Will Scorpy again get the best of their day?
Will Pilot and Moya find things of dread?
And who will we find out, turning up dead?

Will Grayza and Braca become a pair?
Or will they wreak havoc and great despair?
What will the Scarrans devise as a plot?
Will they reach Earth and destroy the lot?

What mischief will our Noranti pursue?
And what about Scorpy and sweet Sikozu?
Will our Chiana get her sight back?
And can D’Argo and Chi get their love back on track?

Will the show end all neatly tied up?
Or will we be left wondering what the frell's up?
Will they revisit Earth and be real glad?
Will we get to see John become a Dad?

The possibilities are vast,
For the fate of the cast,
We can only trust Brian and DK too,
To devise a great story that they'll pursue.

So we wait and we hope and we speculate thus,
At all the boards the Farscape story discuss,
We send our thanks and all of our love,
To all who make Farscape their labor of love.

Selena

Reaction score
Nothing could be better than the "news" on the home page.
Absolutely awesome ... now where is the jumping for joy and the hug the Hensons smilie???

alorindanya

Reaction score
Keeping Farscape Going

I am so excited that it will be continued. I would hate for this Mini series to be 'it', but at least we'll have some closure if it is. The way it ended just was HORRIBLE!!! How could they do that to us??