Ernie's Barber Shop

YellowYahooey

Reaction score
I remember seeing during Season 15 a sketch with Ernie running his own private barbershop, and giving Bert a haircut, going to extremes, cutting all of Bert's hair off, and rendering Bert as a possible candidate for a "Saturday Night Live" gig on a certain sketch, if only until his hair grew back one month later. There were two, maybe three parts to this sketch, but when it aired in April 1984, only Part 1 was shown. Based on the orangey background, it implies this may have been originally aired during Season 1. According to my recollection, this sketch was rarely shown in the 1980s.

Does anybody remember that sketch? I find the first part hilarious!

Last edited:

Bliffenstimmers

Reaction score
This one's a classic! One of my all time favorites. From Ernie snapping at Bert and arguing that he's really a barber to desperately avoiding telling Bert about his clean shaven head, this is arguably the greatest Bert And Ernie bit from the first season. A runner up would be the one where Ernie plays doctor and checks on Bert's health, thinking he's sick because he doesn't want to go outside and play football.

hooperfan

Reaction score
One word you heard during the first part of this sketch is "stupid". That's a word you'll never hear on the show now

YellowYahooey

Reaction score
I think Bert is the type of character who would use the word "stupid". He also uttered such word in the "Sandbox game" sketch which sometimes followed the Jazz #8 cartoon.

YellowYahooey

Reaction score
It sounds like Ernie has been very pesky. At least that's what Bert would claim back in the day. Glad Bert cleaned up his act much later in the series.

This sketch is perhaps among my two most favorite Ernie & Bert sketches ever. The other being the nighttime sketch with Ernie and Bert sleeping with balloons tied to their bedposts and Ernie concerned about not getting their freedom. They released the balloons into the sky, and after the two went back to bed, Ernie was worried about their journey, and wanted to reclaim them and suggested renting a helicopter, setting off Bert's temper in a big way - even to the extent of throwing a tantrum in the hallway, eventually breaking a window and also knocking over a bucket.

Last edited: