Ernie talking and Cookie Monster eyeing a white telephone

prickle747

Reaction score
i have a still image of this skit ,however i don't have it.1969-1971 by the looks of it,old tin garbage can through the window in the background.ernie is talking & cookie monster is eyeing the white telephone either ready to pick it up and answer it or maybe eat it ?

i have no idea what the synopsis of this skit is would appreciate if someone could post and if needed for further help i will gladly email the still image.

does anybody have this one ?
if so what episode # ??

thanks

Boober_Gorg

Reaction score
All I know is, I have this 4-part sketch in Spanish, recorded from a Barrio Sesamo episode.

Joggy

Reaction score
I think I might have this one from Barrio Sesamo. It's a four part skit from 1969.

Ernie is waiting for an important call from Bert when Cookie comes in and asks if he can use the telephone for a short call. Ernie says yes, and Cookie starts a LONG conversation with his mommy - including demonstrating how high he can count. Ernie - who doesn't want to miss Bert's call - tries to distract him with a box of cookies, but Cookie eats them while he's talking. At the end of the fourth clip Cookie eats the telephone, and then Bert calls. So Ernie talks and listens into Cookie's open mouth.

prickle747

Reaction score
very cool Joggy,looks like that Barrio Sesamo aired some awesome
classic sketches at one time.

is the 4 part sketch in English ?

MuppetDude

Reaction score
I've got that clip in a book called "The Sesame Street Book of People and Things" from 1970. It's divided into 20 pictures with subtitles. I can use a copy machine and send them to you when we are able to trade. It's about six pages long, and is slightly different than the original clip (at the very beginning, Bert asks why Ernie is crying, and then Ernie tells him what has happened. Bert's call was referred to as a "very important phone call".)

prickle747

Reaction score
Joggy,did you get the email i sent you through muppet central ?

Censored

Reaction score
MuppetDude said:
I've got that clip in a book called "The Sesame Street Book of People and Things" from 1970. It's divided into 20 pictures with subtitles. I can use a copy machine and send them to you when we are able to trade. It's about six pages long, and is slightly different than the original clip (at the very beginning, Bert asks why Ernie is crying, and then Ernie tells him what has happened. Bert's call was referred to as a "very important phone call".)
Yes, I have that book too! :smile: It's great and is one of several sold at the time. They would take pictures from early skits and add slightly different dialogue to it in order to fit the context of the book.

I also remember that classic skit. The "swallow the phone gag" (it would certainly make me gag) was repeated on the"Christmas Eve On Sesame Street" special where he's trying to call Santa and eats the phone. We then hear Santa's voice coming out of Cookie's mouth.

Censored

Reaction score
Joggy said:
I think I might have this one from Barrio Sesamo. It's a four part skit from 1969.

Ernie is waiting for an important call from Bert when Cookie comes in and asks if he can use the telephone for a short call. Ernie says yes, and Cookie starts a LONG conversation with his mommy - including demonstrating how high he can count. Ernie - who doesn't want to miss Bert's call - tries to distract him with a box of cookies, but Cookie eats them while he's talking. At the end of the fourth clip Cookie eats the telephone, and then Bert calls. So Ernie talks and listens into Cookie's open mouth.

Sadly, they'd probably say that this skit was too "dated" to show now because most people have "call waiting." :frown:

MuppetDude

Reaction score
GeeBee said:
Yes, I have that book too! :smile: It's great and is one of several sold at the time. They would take pictures from early skits and add slightly different dialogue to it in order to fit the context of the book.
Speaking of, last week I was lucky enough to find a copy of "The Sesame Street Book of Puzzlers", and it's got pictures from at least twelve clips from the show, both Muppet and animated.