Elmo Replica

eing6888

Reaction score
I just finished with my first replica, Elmo. I used Mostro pattern from Projectpuppet.com . I bought the faux fur from Fabric Empire (http://www.fabricempire.com/faux-fur-shaggy-red.aspx) , one yard is more than enough for Elmo. For the nose, I used 4 inches styrofoam ball and sculpted it with coarse sand paper and cover it with dyed Antron fleece. For the eyes, I bought 50mm Christmas ornaments from Amazon.com and then sprayed it with white spray paint and use black felt as pupils.

eing6888

Reaction score
I also did an experiment with the faux fur for future reference and would like to share it with you guys. For the one that labeled hot water, I soaked the fur with running hot tap water for 30 minutes. For the one that labeled air dry, I let it air dry at normal room temperature 25C. For the one that labeled dryer, I dried the fur with the dryer at high heat for 1 and a half cycle. For the one that labeled horse shampoo, I use Maine and Tail shampoo to wash the fur and rinsed it out (http://www.amazon.com/Mane-Tail-Shampoo-32/dp/B000QFRBNS/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top). The horse shampoo is known for its rough texture after washing and it certainly did with the fur. I used hot water + dryer for my replica, since the horse shampoo made the fur a little bit too clumpy.

eing6888

Reaction score
I use Rits dry to dye the Antron fleece and here is my color recipe for dying I used
7.5 grams of the Sunshine orange
2.5 grams of the Tangerine Orange
1/2 cup of sea salt(just because I don't have table salt around)
1 cup of hot water (150F, I use microwave to heat it up)

then I mix the 4 ingredients together
after that I add 2 more cups of hot water(190F)
mix well and then add the fabric(12 by 18 inches)
Constantly stir it for 35 minutes and then rinse with cold water until the water run almost clear, do not twist the fabric just apply a little pressure on it.
After that I used a very mild warm detergent solution(not bleach) to wash the fabric and then rinse it with cold water.
Let it air dry on a flat surface
After it's dried use a razor to shave the fuzzy part out

Making the dye solution

dying the Antron fleece

Drying on flat surface(notes that the color is super saturated when the fabric is wet, don't panic, it will be come lighter once it dry)

Shaving the fleece

eing6888

Reaction score
And here is how I spray painted the eyeball.
Spray it thin layer of paint but multiple times otherwise the paint will turn sticky.
Making a stand for eyeballs also help to achieve a nice smooth paint.
Let the paint cure overnight before you use it.

scandell

Reaction score
Extra Critical comment: (Reposition his right pupil a little higher)

eing6888

Reaction score
I agree, I think I will redo Elmo's eyes. The eye needs to position a little close together and adjust the pupil height too. Luckily I didn't glue them to the puppet:smile: thank you for the feedback.

WillyThePig

Reaction score
If you brush the sides of the face smooth I would look almost exactly like Elmo (after you fixed the eye of course)