Does anyone know where to get Muppet fur from?

Reevz1977

Reaction score
Hi folks,

Does anyone know where to get Muppet fur from, in particular Rowlf fur?

Many thanks!!

Slackbot

Reaction score
There's a chocolate brown fur that ought to serve you well. You can buy it from Mendel's or Fabric.com. On Mendel's it's called Punky Muppet, and on Fabric.com it's Luxury Shag. It's the same fur, available in the same colors; the difference is that at Fabric.com you pay about $5 less per yard, and they offer free shipping on orders over $35.

It starts out straight and boring; you boil it to get that nice rumply Muppetty texture.

If you're not sure if that fur will work, you can request swatches from Mendel's. They'll send you up to 5 swatches for free. Fabric.com charges $2 per swatch.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
So Mendel's Punky Muppet fabric is EXACTLY the same as fabric.com's Luxury Shag? Same look, same texture, same weight? Because I was looking into trying Mendel's as an alternative, because fabric.com's fur, while having a nice selection, is far too heavyweight, making the puppets really stiff and cumbersome (and I find their fur too neat and well "luxurious" as opposed to, say, a Mongolian sheep-based fur).

Slackbot

Reaction score
I've bought from both sellers, and the Punky Muppet fur is identical to the Luxury Shag. Same fur, same manufacturer.

If the fur's too neat for you, you know what you can do to give it a nice woolly texture.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Well, I'm not wanting a wooly texture, but I am looking for a texture that's more like this:

As opposed to this:

(Ignore the colors, I'm speaking only of the texture)

And like I said too, the fabric is just simply too heavy... if only Walmart or Dollar General would bring back those fur throw pillows again, the fur they used for those was perfect.

Reevz1977

Reaction score
Well, I'm not wanting a wooly texture, but I am looking for a texture that's more like this:

As opposed to this:

And like I said too, the fabric is just simply too heavy... if only Walmart or Dollar General would bring back those fur throw pillows again, the fur they used for those was perfect.

As opposed to this:

Ah!! The top one looks kinda like what I was after :smile:

D'Snowth

Reaction score
The top is what I pretty much prefer, but it's not really quite readily available from most fabric outlets as the bottom one is, and the stuff that is available, it either isn't really available in the colors you want, or it's available in like two-tone colors (like in the picture, the base of the material is one color, while the piling is another).

Slackbot

Reaction score
I hear you about the colors. I've taken matters into my own hands and gotten some acetate dyes. Let's see if I can get a good reddish-orange.