Dire Straights!

Meep

Reaction score
I just signed up, hi everyone : )

I'm a design student at a local college. My group and I have a HUGELY weighted assignment- to choose a designed item, and trace it's materials through history. I also have to re-create an object that relates to my chosen object.

What on earth does this have to do with the puppet forum?

Guess what we chose for our 'object'?
Kermit!
And so I must MUST MUST simply must find out what he is made out of. The kind of foam, what his eyes are made of, ect. Then I can trace those materials back. But I have found nothing : ( So I turn to you for help!

Also, I have chosen the incredibly adorable and always articulate Beaker to do my 'reproduction.' basically, I need to create, as closely as possible to the original, a Beaker puppet! Hehehee I'm so excited : )

SOooo I also need some tips for creating Beaker. I have checked over the site, and if what I have gathered is correct, there is a specific kind of 'foam' I could use, perhaps a Foam King shop would have what I need? I am from Canada, so US stores are no good, also ordering over the net isn't a viable option for me. : (
I saw somewhere that someone suggested using ping pong balls for the eyes, cut in half, so I'll likely use that excellent tip for the eyes. Areas I'm desperately in need of help in are the foam (what kind, where to get it), Beaker's wild (and somewhat longish) hair, and what to line the inside of his mouth with.

any advice would be very appreciated!!
thanx!

-Meep! :eek:

Buck-Beaver

Reaction score
Not sure what part of Canada you're in, but if you are anywhere near Toronto here are some places to get what you need:

Not sure ~exactly~ which foam beaker is made from, but I believe the foam the Muppets are made from has to be special ordered and is extremely expensive. Most professional builders use reticulated foam which can be purchased from Engineered Foam in Concord Ontario (just north of Toronto). I'd suggest ordering 3/4" thick 20 PPI Yellow foam. One sheet is $45 or so BUT they have a $250 minimum order. Their number is (905) 695 - 0640 or you can email them at engfoam@vitacanada.ca

You can get similar foam in very small sheets from any Canadian Tire. They are sold as filters for dehumifiers or air conditioners I believe. It's not as good, but it will work. You could also just use a sheet of regular polyfoam (closed cell polyurethane foam) which can be purchased at a Fabricland or almost any camping supply store.

As for the fur I think it is virtually impossible to get any shag (long) orange fur in Canada. I have been looking for years (If you find a source, please let me know). The little I have came from a friend in Europe. Your best bet would be to contact MacFab in Toronto and see if they can special order some for you. Be warned that this usually takes 4 - 8 weeks. I don't have MacFab's number handy, but they are listed in the Toronto Yellow Pages.

Beaker and Kermit's "skin" are both of couse made from antron fleece. That can be purchased from Georgia Stage. Email Kathy c/o info@gastage.com

I have no idea what the mouths are. I tend to use felt or a stretch fabric (non-shiny) for puppet mouths.

I hope that helps!

FISH'N'WOLFE

Reaction score
Meep said:
I just signed up, hi everyone : )

I'm a design student at a local college. My group and I have a HUGELY weighted assignment- to choose a designed item, and trace it's materials through history. I also have to re-create an object that relates to my chosen object.

What on earth does this have to do with the puppet forum?

Guess what we chose for our 'object'?
Kermit!
And so I must MUST MUST simply must find out what he is made out of. The kind of foam, what his eyes are made of, ect. Then I can trace those materials back. But I have found nothing : ( So I turn to you for help!

Also, I have chosen the incredibly adorable and always articulate Beaker to do my 'reproduction.' basically, I need to create, as closely as possible to the original, a Beaker puppet! Hehehee I'm so excited : )

SOooo I also need some tips for creating Beaker. I have checked over the site, and if what I have gathered is correct, there is a specific kind of 'foam' I could use, perhaps a Foam King shop would have what I need? I am from Canada, so US stores are no good, also ordering over the net isn't a viable option for me. : (
I saw somewhere that someone suggested using ping pong balls for the eyes, cut in half, so I'll likely use that excellent tip for the eyes. Areas I'm desperately in need of help in are the foam (what kind, where to get it), Beaker's wild (and somewhat longish) hair, and what to line the inside of his mouth with.

any advice would be very appreciated!!
thanx!

Hey there Meep!
Kermit is made out of Antron fleece, his body Antron wrapped foam. His eyes are a halved ping pong ball as have been previously mentioned. The mouth is leather covered with felt, (same goes for Beaker) it's used due to durability and flexibility. (I was lucky enough to go to the house/studio of a actual Sesame Street puppeteer and see to an extent how the puppets are made.) Beaker is sculpted polyfoam covered with Antron. (Antron fleece comes as white only and then dyed.) His eyes are created using a vacuum form, since they are too big for ping pongs. Well I hope this helps... Also go to this site http://www.sagecraft.com/puppetry/building/

Sincerely, FISH'N'WOLFE Productions
"Your friendly neighborhood puppet production company" :smile:

Puppetplanet

Reaction score
For the fur hair.....

I don't know if there is a Walmart in Canada, but they currently have these really cool long shag rugs available in white for only $10 that I'm sure could be dyed the color you need. If not a Walmart, then try any store that sells decor items for bathrooms and kids bedrooms and use a white shag rug.

Hope that helps. =)

Meep

Reaction score
Thanx!

Thanx guys!! I don't know what I would have done without you. :flirt: I'm meeting with my project group today and I'll pass along the valuable info (we each have to make our own puppet : )

I don't think my finished puppet is going to be as groovy as ya'lls, but when it's done I will definately post a pic of it here : )

thanks again for the info!

Meep

Reaction score
Lol!

GEEEEZ! Just cause I say it doesn't mean we ALL say it! And actually I rarely ever do say ya'll. Only when the mood strikes me. Same for 'groovy' 'dude' 'meh' and a bunch of others. I believe in a diverse vocabulary ; )

What we DO all say is, of course, Eh. Which if you think about it, is a beautifully shorted form of the word 'Hey'. If you listen to us, we use it interchangably with 'hey'. : ) And don't you tease me now!

Meep! :eek:

Buck-Beaver

Reaction score
Puppetplanet said:
I don't know if there is a Walmart in Canada, but they currently have these really cool long shag rugs available in white for only $10 that I'm sure could be dyed the color you need. If not a Walmart, then try any store that sells decor items for bathrooms and kids bedrooms and use a white shag rug.
Yes, there are Walmarts in Canada (not that they're especially welcome) but they don't seem to carry them. At least in Toronto.