Did the SST Muppets appear on Donahue?

minor muppetz

Reaction score
I was reading DW Mckim's blog today, and he mentioned an appearane by the Sesame Street cast on Donahue, where they were promoting the 25th anniversary. I have never heard of this appearance before, and Muppet Wiki doens't appear to have a page for the show. So, has anybody else (besides DW) seent hat appearance? I believe that it exists, but I wonder how rare it is.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
I guess I don't really know how to explain what I mean. I guess I meant could it have been common knowledge among hardcore fans that it exists, and that I just didn't know despite my hardcore knowledge (and that Muppet WIki just happens to not have a page on it).

sesameguy

Reaction score
So, has anybody else (besides DW) seent hat appearance? I believe that it exists, but I wonder how rare it is.
Yes, the Sesame Street cast did appear on Donahue at one point way back when- I'm not sure if it was for the 25th anniversary or not, but I recall seeing most of the "human" cast members along with Big Bird and Oscar (although not both Big Bird & Oscar at the same time!) It was a fun show with a few young kids asking some of the questions. One child asked something like, "If Oscar doesn't like it on Sesame Street, why doesn't he just move?" The cast replied, "We've asked him the same question!" Oscar described his eternal dilemma. "This place makes me miserable, but I like being miserable, so that makes me happy, which makes me miserable, which makes me happy, " etc. :smile: It was a fun show. (I wish I had it!).

Purrsilla

Reaction score
I realize this thread/conversation started last April and it's now late September ... but ... I was in the audience that day for the Donahue show. And I vaguely recall that I have VHS recording of the show, which I should try to unearth and transfer to DVD. I'm not positive but I think it was maybe 1990. It was a fun show and I recall a little girl (age 4 or 5) trying to articulate a question about whether Oscar and Big Bird knew each other. The kid was amazingly perceptive -- if not psychic!

sesameguy

Reaction score
Cool- please let us know if you find your copy!

jeffkjoe

Reaction score
Hi:

I have a copy of this Donahue episode on VHS.

I know this for sure, cause it's the 25th anniversary celebration from 1994, and I've watched it MANY times! I don't have the tape on me...It's at my parents' home in Nashville.

They had a mock-up of the Sesame Street set on the stage (a brick wall behind which Muppets could appear from, with Oscar's can in the center, and a bunch of crates surrounding it....And the Sesame Street lamppost at stage right.)

They had most of the Muppet performers of the time and the human cast, Gordon, Luis, Maria, Bob, even Susan (including Ruth Buzzi who was starting that season).

They also mentioned the debut of Zoe that season as well.

A bunch of toddlers and their parents were there (some of the kids even asked questions like: "Where's Cookie Monster?" Donahue said Cookie was at the dentist, but in reality Frank Oz couldn't make it....."Where's Savion?" Savion Glover wasn't there....And the most clever question from a young girl: "Does Big Bird have anything to do with Oscar the Grouch?" meaning, why weren't Oscar and Big Bird on the Donahue stage at the same time? (Carroll Spinney alternated between the Oscar and Big Bird appearances before and after the commercial breaks).

They showed important clips from the shows then-25 year history, including the death of Mr. Hooper, the adoption of Miles,
They had the writers up on stage at one point as well: Norman Stiles, who was head writer at the time, Sonia Manzano.....

And then at the end they had a birthday cake with Happy Birthday Seasme Street printed on it in icing....And Elmo helped lead singing the Happy Birthday song to the show over the end credits.