Did Caroll ever work Ernie's right hand?

Splurge

Reaction score
This is something I've been thinking of, no sources or rumors or anything like that.

It stands to reason. In the first season of Sesame Street (1969-1970), Jim Henson, Frank Oz and Caroll Spinney were the only Muppeteers - at least the only Muppeteers who provided their own voices, there were obviously other silent puppeteers. Also, Caroll often performed AM roles & background characters. Like in "Goin' For a Ride". So if in fact he did perform Ernie's right hand it would make sense.

As usual, this question is for anyone in the know, or who just likes to make guesses. :smile:

Traveling Matt

Reaction score
That is a logical suggestion, so I would say he most likely did. Jerry Nelson probably did it too, although Carly (?) Wilcox was the usual right hand, I believe.

- Billy :cool:

Splurge

Reaction score
Originally posted by Traveling Matt
That is a logical suggestion, so I would say he most likely did. Jerry Nelson probably did it too, although Carly (?) Wilcox was the usual right hand, I believe.

- Billy :cool:
I'm sure Jerry was, and also Fran and many others. He must have had many different people being his right hand over the years. I'd just be interested to know if Caroll was one of them.

dwmckim

Reaction score
I'm another person with no "inside info" on the subject but with a very logical hypothesis...

I'd say it's highly likely for not only the reasons already mentioned but just thinking about episode #1 in particular. They most likely filmed all the street scenes at once where they had Caroll as BB/Oscar and Jim and Frank as B&E. B&E didn't appear at the same time as any of Caroll's characters so Caroll probably went into "arm duty" during B&E's scenes!