Did Bert and Ernie ever bathe together?

Loren

Reaction score
On another message board I frequent, the subject of Bert and Ernie came up, and one guy claims he's 99% certain that the two of them took baths together.

I'm about that certain that they never did. The closest thing to a shared bath I can recall was in the "Do da Rubber Duck" sketch. But I thought that before I disputed him again, I'd get a second opinion.

Does anyone know what sketches he's talking about, or is he just totally misremembering?

Loren

fatblue

Reaction score
Boy,your post had me worried there for a minute! LOL!!!!

But seriously, I always saw the skit, circa '69 I'm sure, with just Ernie in the tub singing the 'Rubber Duckie' song. There was another skit with just Bert taking a bath, I can't recall how it went. But I never rembered both of them in the tub together, sorry! Maybe someone else?

GelflingWaldo

Reaction score
I recall Ernie being in the tub with others; and I remeber Bert walking/looking in to the bathroon when Ernie was taking his bubble baths; but I can't recall a time they were both in in the tub together.

Vic Romano

Reaction score
I remember a bunch of Muppets looking in the door while Ernie was taking a bath alone and thinking: Perverts! But I think SS would've gotten enough hate mail to end the show if Bert and Ernie were bathing together. Maybe your friend wanted them to bathe together and is trying to convince himself! :smile:

Muppetsdownunder

Reaction score
Its probably all in someones imagination. Someone once posted in the Muppets Downunder forum a full detailed fantasy with various characters from sesame street, it was quite childish and just down right wrong so I had to delete it. Some people!

But even if they did bathe together im sure they would have had swimwear on! :smile:

GonzoLeaper

Reaction score
Not this again!

Yes, Ernie had some friends over during the "Do De Rubber Duck" song and they danced around in the tub with him. But they all had swim trunks on- ex. The Count. Others like Kermit, and Gladys the Cow obviously didn't wear anything anyway, so it didn't matter. Others there included Telly, Oscar, Elmo, Guy Smiley, Biff, and Hoots. (There may have been some others I'm forgetting.)

And yeah, Bert knocked on the door to make sure Ernie was all right, but that was it.

No, Ernie and Bert never bathed together. Ernie and Bert are simply roommates!!! People do it all the time at college and sometimes after graduating might room together in an apartment while working. You can be male roommates and not be gay, you know!!!

Perhaps Loren wasn't trying to insinuate that, but I have heard that joke way too many times and I'm getting sick of it.
(Unfortunately, in today's politically correct world, even Sesame Street may not be immune to pushing the sinful lifestyle of homosexuality and I guess if they did, they could have two lead examples. I trust that would never happen!)

:stick_out_tongue: :frown: :attitude:

Loren

Reaction score
GonzoLeaper said:
No, Ernie and Bert never bathed together. Ernie and Bert are simply roommates!!! People do it all the time at college and sometimes after graduating might room together in an apartment while working. You can be male roommates and not be gay, you know!!!

Perhaps Loren wasn't trying to insinuate that, but I have heard that joke way too many times and I'm getting sick of it.
Don't worry, I wasn't trying to insinuate anything at all. (See for yourself.) I'm tired of hearing the claim myself, and was trying to dispute it. Aside from their age, it seems pretty clear to me that the two were intended as a riff on the Odd Couple.

But some people see two characters and assume a sexualized relationship is the only kind that can exist between them. The same seems to be true of people's perceptions of Peppermint Patty and Marcie, even though both characters have well-established crushes on Charlie Brown.

Anyhow, thanks to y'all for the help and confirmation. Now I can go back and be assured that I'm correct.

Loren

AndyWan Kenobi

Reaction score
On an old Muppet Sing-Along record, Bert was taking a bath and Ernie dragged the piano into the bathroom and invited everyone on Sesame Street to come have a sing along. Poor Bert!

Al Hempker

Reaction score
I also remember one where Bert's little cousin (I forget his name) was about to take a bath and Ernie kept bringing out toys until the tub is full. Bert goes off on Ernie and then Ernie winds up jumping into the tub. Funny stuff.