Desperately seeking Muppet fan in Phoenix, Arizona

dwmckim

Reaction score
For Frog's sake, if there are any Muppet fans on this forum in or near Phoenix Arizona, be they members or lurkers, PLEASE speak now or forever hold your...actually don't hold anything - speak now!

I've kept myself going this entire year, waking up and going to bed thinking about how badly i don't want to live anymore holding onto the idea of seeing "The Muppets" in the theatre on its debut showing with other local Muppet fans all there themselves making it a point to see the very first midnight showing. I know that sounds like a small thing but my entire life has become such a hopeless joyless mess of a cosmic joke that the only joy i get anymore solely comes from my areas of fandom and i'm not one of those lucky ducks that get invited to official premieres or live in an area where i can attend "Muppet Vaults" or group fan events...so whenever the rare opportunity arrives to attend something remotely local that's Just For Major Muppet Fans, it's my mission to be there.

Being the big fat frelling hopeless loser i am, i have no car and can't get to a theatre to see an airing for a midnight showing next Tuesday night (and likewise get back home) - i am at the point where i'm willing to do just about anything to find a ride - i've tried a Craigslist ad but so far the only responses are people who can't read (and not too hot at writing/spelling) confusing it with a sex ad.

I need a ride BADLY. I don't bite. I'm housebroken. And i'll laugh at all the right parts. And i'll be eternally grateful to have one of the few wishes i can possibly hope to come true anymore come to fruition. Is it so wrong to want one night of only two hours of joyous bliss after an entire year of tormentful nightmarish eternal pain and misery?

Please pm me and/or email dw_m@webtv.net - i beg of anyone who can provide a ride to please get in touch with me. Even if you know of any Phoenix Muppet fans on another forum, please get them in touch with me. Heck, i'll gladly go with a deranged psychokiller who will rape and beat me if i can just get there and back home.

beaker

Reaction score
Well I for one hope your around on this mortal coil for a long time to come, as I consider you the most passionate and knowlegeable Muppet fan in the world...least that Ive seen online. You pretty much helped make my Muppetfest 2001 by taking me in and being a cool travel pal. Heck I loved your retorts to the stage!

Now I know deep dark near suicidal depression quite well. In fact, the last couple months I've increasingly been feeling really down in the dumps and feeling a stark sense of dread I havent felt since summer 2001. Im just not religious and do not believe in any after life at all, and I owe it to my future wife and kids(ha, fantasy world talking now) or future fans?(ha) to stick around. But sometimes one just has to swim within the mire of one's darkest thoughts of despair and depression. I realize I have a lot to be grateful for, in spade. But you know how it goes. But I can certainly relate to you on a lot of fronts. Im almost 34 with no car, hardly any friends in real life.

Yeah you definitely deserved to go to the premiere or any sort of advance screening. ****, again I can relate...since the early 1990's I have aggressively pushed myself and tried to market myself with various creative projects, and once the internet came around I went into overdrive promoting my music, art, comics, services, ideas, design, etc. Ive been to more conventions than I can ever recall, passing out fliers, having booths, etc. But nothing really came of it ultimately...I wont say it was a waste, as I love conversing with people. But fate's been sort of an odd thing...I do get jealous now and then of how easy younger people have had it in pursuing media/design/creative goals and jobs. But I also deal with a number of tough health issues, along with depression and sometimes anxiety...always a mixed bag.

I wish I could reach over through the internet screen and give you a big hug d-dub.

newsmanfan

Reaction score
-------------
Yeah, what Beaker said!

Sorry I can't do a road trip with you...really really hope you find a way there. Alternatively to ride-finding -- how much are cabs there? All the rest of you, I just sent dw a little cash -- no not bragging, but if others can chip in bits too, maybe he'll have enough to rent a ride!

Pitch in for a fanboy! :news:
------------------------

dwmckim

Reaction score
Alternatively to ride-finding -- how much are cabs there?
Already considered this and cabs are way too expensive to be an alternative. (Especially considering the locations of any of the theatres doing a midnight showing thus far) Cabs are the biggest ripoff in the world - if people had the money for cab fare they could probably afford cars to begin with. They prey on those who have no other alternative...to the point of not being an alternative themselves. Given that i have only a few cell phone minutes left and not enough to get more with right now, that even leaves out calling a cab to begin with much less paying for one.

-----------------------------------

Getting back on-topic, forgot to mention that if anyone does email me, please make sure to put Muppet in the subject heading or it will most likely be mistaken for spam and unread/deleted.

dwmckim

Reaction score
Something else i forgot to mention in my original post - i need to hear from someone by Monday night. Due to my work schedule being screwed up by Thanksgiving, i leave early in the morning Tues and will be at work all day/night.

newsmanfan

Reaction score
---------------------
REALLY hope you make it, dw. Sorry I couldn't help more. :sympathy:

--------------------

RedPiggy

Reaction score
Irritatingly, I work on Thanksgiving, so I'll have to settle for a Fri or Sat showing. Still, Muppets is Muppets, no?

I don't know if you've received my envelope yet, but yeah MC homies ... if we all pull together, the man can get him some Muppets movie! :big_grin:

newsmanfan

Reaction score
---------------------
dw, I really hope you were able to make it to a showing. I wound up being all by myself last night (maybe 20 people in the theatre total at the midnight showing, but it wasn't well publicized locally) and felt rather small. Wish I'd been able to come roadtripping instead. :sympathy:

---------------------------

dwmckim

Reaction score
Took the bus there. There were maybe about 40-50 people there pretty much exclusively college aged - all very hyped and excited and loving it. The local papers didn't have ANY info about the midnight showing so really the only way people would have even known about them would have been via online info.

Getting home was a different story. Despite having a sign on my back all night reading "Need ride home (19th ave/Cactus)" not one person offered to help...everyone was basically involved with their own little clique. So spent 3 1/2 hours walking home scared to death of being mugged the entire time. Really kind of ruined the whole experience; not just the pain/discomefort but the disillusionment in my faith in Muppet fans. Given everything else in my life i should have known one single night of enjoyment was too much too ask for. I now have a primal allergic reaction to Life's a Happy Song.

Ruahnna

Reaction score
Dwmckim, sweetie, I am very sorry that you had such a miserable experience getting to and from. Anything we can do that would actually help now? (I can make muppet buttons...?)

I think that fans are--by and large--friendly and loving--but like every other group on the planet, they are just folks, and folks sometimes let you down. It stinks. I'm sorry for your pain.

But we like you here, at MC! Maybe we can be your virtual clump....

Hang in there--write if you need to!

Auntie Ru
(a real, live grown-up muppet fan)