Denny's Celebrates the Muppet Show Anniversary

Phillip

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Denny's restaurants and Jim Henson's Muppets have partnered for a summer celebration of 25 years of the Grand Slam Breakfast and The Muppet Show.
Courtesy of Denny's

Beloved characters from the Muppet television series, including Kermit the Frog(TM), Miss Piggy(TM) and Statler & Waldorf(TM), the two heckling old guys in the balcony, will be featured in new commercials for Denny's that will begin airing nationally on May 20.

"We are pleased to celebrate the Grand Slam's 25th anniversary with the unique brand of fun that only the Muppets can deliver," said Nelson Marchioli, chief executive officer and president of Denny's.

"The Muppet Show and our world famous characters have been part of popular culture for 25 years," said Charles H. Rivkin, president and CEO of The Jim Henson Company. "Commemorating our silver anniversary together with Denny's ever-popular Grand Slam Breakfast seems like a natural fit."

Denny's is celebrating the 25th anniversary of the introduction of its signature Grand Slam Breakfast with a comprehensive advertising campaign, including television, radio and print as well as in-store point-of-purchase materials featuring the Muppets. The advertising creative was developed by WestWayne, Inc. of Tampa, Fla.

Jim Henson's Muppets(TM) have brought joy to generations for over 45 years. Notorious for their unique style of entertainment, the Muppets have become international superstars. This year they are celebrating the 25th anniversary of The Muppet Sho (TM), the Emmy Award-winning television series that aired in over 120 countries. The Muppets are pop culture icons with over 5,000 licensed products in the marketplace and promotional deals with NASCAR, UPS, McDonald's and Virgin Atlantic among others. These irreverent characters have recently appeared on MTV Music Awards, Access Hollywood, Today, Live with Regis and Kelly, Who Wants to be a Millionaire? and Hollywood Squares. The Jim Henson Company recently partnered with Fox Broadcasting Company to develop a new primetime Muppet series and is currently producing a Muppet holiday movie for NBC to air in 2002.

Denny's signature Grand Slam Breakfast® -- two fluffy hotcakes, two eggs, sausage and bacon -- was first promoted in May 1977 and remains the brand's best-selling entree. The Grand Slam Breakfast is available for only $2.99 from 5 a.m. to 10 p.m. at participating Denny's locations. In addition, the company has introduced a new breakfast entree, Fabulous French Toast, and a BBQ Chicken Sandwich.

The Denny's commercial will air on national cable, including A&E, ESPN, The Family Channel, Lifetime and USA networks. The ad will also run on spot television in over 30 markets.

The Jim Henson Company, an established leader in family entertainment for more than 45 years, is a multimedia production company; one of the top character licensors in the industry; a leading publisher of children's books and home to Jim Henson Television, Jim Henson Pictures, Jim Henson Interactive, Jim Henson Home Entertainment and Jim Henson's Creature Sho (TM). The Company is headquartered in Los Angeles with offices and production facilities in New York and London. The Jim Henson Company is a wholly owned subsidiary of EM.TV & Merchandising AG based in Munich, Germany. The Jim Henson Company website is located at: www.henson.com.

Denny's is the nation's largest full-service family restaurant chain with more than 1,700 locations in the United States, Canada, Costa Rica, Guam, Mexico, New Zealand and Puerto Rico. Denny's is owned by Advantica Restaurant Group, Inc. (OTCBB: DINE - News), one of the largest restaurant companies in the United States.

A photo is available here.

BlueFrackle

Reaction score
Phil,

Hey,
what are these 'In store point of purchase' things ?

Are they gonna be like McDonalds toys or something?

Thanks

MuppetQuilter

Reaction score
Warrick

No idea what the in store point of purchase things are-- flyer-type ads? merchandise? but I plan to find out at the local Dennys this summer! If possible, I 'll pick up a couple extras for the non-US folk around here.

Wheee-- more Muppet commercials!

pezbalubah

Reaction score
Sounds cool, hopefully they have merchandise! Probably no Pepe though cus of the whole Long John Silver thing, this sounds better.. I actually like Denny's. When did the Muppets appear on MTV? I missed that...

radionate

Reaction score
Being an ex-fast food collector, I'm well aware of the POP or In Store Point of Purchase stuff. These are normally not toys per say, but rather posters, ceiling danglers, window stickers, employee buttons, place mats, and anything else that might catch the eye of customers in the building.

(By the way guys, this is my first post! I've been struggling with the change from Delphi. I'm not to swift at times with computers, and this new board has intimidated me big time!)

Zack the Dog

Reaction score
Yes I was very Happy to hear this!;-) I'm still mad a LJS for the drop of Pepe, do we know why they did it? atleast people will know the muppets are the muppets with Dennys! i never really eat at LJS anyways but i still wish it was going on.

i wonder if this still would happen if Pepe was not dropped and both were going on? hmm, i would guess not.

Zack)Rowlf the, what the heck do i know anyways,Dog.

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
Now what the heck am I going to eat at Dennys? LOL! Their food is toxic to a guy like me, but I'm glad to see the Muppets making their rounds in something. I just wish they'd pick a higher quality product.

Zack the Dog

Reaction score
Jamie

Hi Jamie you could go in and just get a glass of water;-) and then take a muppet place mat or something.

Zack)Rowlf the,...uhh I hope it's not sink water?Dog.

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
That's true, kinda. I have done that in many restaurants because I kind of have to. I'm picky about what I eat, but still want to be social with my friends. It's just a shame that the American diet is made up of such terrible things IMHO:eek: I shouldn't single out only Dennys though - many restaurants are in the same boat. I can't believe they're doing the commercials. I wonder it it will be Frank's voice as the pig. Will Pepe sneak in there with a doggy bag from LJS? Is that why he left?

pezbalubah

Reaction score
are you vegan frogboy? i'm just vegetarian so i get either their veggie burger or grilled cheese.. I really like their cherry stuff that they add to lemonade