Curious George author murdered two days before movie release

KCJ506

Reaction score
Two held in Curious George author's Florida death

By Barbara Liston Thu Feb 9, 3:03 PM ET

ORLANDO, Florida (Reuters) - Two men have been charged with first-degree murder in the death of Alan J. Shalleck, 76, who co-wrote "Curious George" books and helped bring the very curious little monkey to television.

Rex Spears Ditto, 29, and Vincent Puglisi, 54, were arrested shortly before midnight on Wednesday and confessed to a home invasion, murder and robbery of Shalleck, Sgt. Gladys Cannon of the Boynton Beach police said on Thursday.

Shalleck's bloodied body was discovered on Tuesday under a pile of plastic garbage bags in a driveway at Royal Manor Estates by a maintenance supervisor who went to haul away what appeared to be a pile of trash, police said.

The body may have been in the driveway for more than a day. Crime scene investigators found stab wounds and, once inside the home, several pools of blood leading to the master bathroom which was splattered with blood. Investigators found several knives and broken glass in the house.

Ditto and Puglisi made full confessions, according to Cannon, who said the men robbed Shalleck of jewelry and money from his checking account. Charges include first-degree murder, armed home invasion, aggravated battery of a person 65 years or older, and dealing in stolen property.

Shalleck began his collaboration with "Curious George" co-creator Margaret Rey nearly three decades ago, helping write sequels to the stories Rey originally produced with her late husband H.A. Rey and bringing the monkey to television.

Shalleck's death came just days before a big-screen version of "Curious George" debuts in movie theaters on Friday.

Sgt Floyd

Reaction score
wow.:concern: I cant beleive someone would do that. Thats sad:frown:

mjb1124

Reaction score
That is just f***ing tragic. (Pardon my language - that's just the exact thought that popped into my mind when I read this.)

McFraggle

Reaction score
That is sad. My thoughts go out to his family and friends. :sympathy: