Counting cyclops film?

SkyeFan

Reaction score
First of all, whoever is creating these remarkable "Sesame Street" episode guides and sorting out by season what inserts appeared in what episodes -
GOOD JOB! It's VERY convenient to know when certain segments appeared throughout the series. I like learning about inserts that I am absolutely unaware of and had never seen before!

One segment in particular stood out to me under the list of season 3 segments. It's referred to as "Cyclops 1-10" and it's listed as debuting in episode 399 (airing the second to last week of season 3, mind you). Does anyone have any possible information or at least recollection of this segment? In the episode guide, it's listed as a film with (LA), an acronym for "live-action". That would mean it's performed either on location, or just in a studio, with a live actor(s).

Now, what I find interesting about this segment is the use of a cyclops. For those unfamiliar with the term, a "cyclops" is a mythical creature having only one eye. The only segments I can think of with a cyclops is this strange mid-70s cartoon with a baby encountering a "DANGER" sign and imagining surreal images of the word's meaning, one of which being a one-eyed monster roaring. Another cartoon I know isn't from "Sesame Street", but rather "The Electric Company". It's one of those "monolith" cartoons with a crowd of pink one-eyed martians on the moon witnessing the monolith forming an "oo" (double o as in "moon"). Those are only animations, the one I'm referring to is live-action, making it sound more interesting and quite bizarre. Could it be that this segment involved a live actor dressed in a cyclops costume, or else a (non-Henson) puppet doing the counting?

In the episode guides I had seen from the early 70s, I really haven't seen this one repeated much at all. Depending on if this segment is anything like I figure it would be, then perhaps it was seen as a little too scary and strange for the show. However, I have come across a segment with a very similar identification as this one listed in episode 275 (the season 2 finale). It's referred to as "Noyes Counting 1-10". For those curious, the name "Noyes" is referring to animator Eliot Noyes, who I believe created those "Sand Letter" segments from season 5, plus, according to film critic Leonard Maltin's book on classic cartoons "Of Mice and Magic", Mr. Noyes created an Academy Award-nominated animation titled "Clay or the Origin of Species" from 1965. This "1-10" film along with the segment where an Anything Muppet family sorts into different groups (with the little pink AM daughter ending it by saying "I like this way best.") first appear in episode 275. The reason I believe the Eliot Noyes film and the "cyclops" film are both the same segment is because they both have the same time ratio (1 minute and 12 seconds), although I think it's off by one second in one episode. I don't know if anyone has ever encountered such a segment ever airing on the show, but I most certainly would like to see it someday!

Last edited: