Confirmed: Jason Segel Bows out of "The Muppets" Sequel

LouisTheOtter

Reaction score
That's a shame. I know he loves the Muppets so he wouldn't have made those comments lightly (although, as Jason so often does, he tried to keep the mood at least semi-light).

But he's right - the most important thing is that the Muppets are back in the public eye and will be taken seriously as an entertainment franchise again.

Thank you, Jason Segel, for investing five years of your life to return Kermit and his friends to the big screen and to begin a wonderful new chapter in the legacy of Jim Henson. All the very best to you as you take on new projects, and hopefully you can come back to the Muppet family someday (even in a producing/contributing role).

kyunkyua

Reaction score
Aw, I'm gonna miss the guy. But I know things will be great from this point onwards. Thanks for getting the ball rollin', Jason!

MWoO

Reaction score
I'm glad he won't be in it as an actor, though he might still be a small cameo. I like him in this movie but I don't want a rehash of the first film and his story was told. I will miss
Him as a writer though.

I worry when the next movie is referred to a sequel. I hope that isn't what they have planned. I want another movie of course, just not a sequel. I think a western would be an interesting idea. Not a retelling, but a new western musical Where Kermit is the newsherif in town, fozzie runs the saloon, pops is the old prospector, and miss piggy works the stage as a French entertainer. It's seems like it would just fit.

Slackbot

Reaction score
The title of this thread is pretty harsh. It makes it sound as if Jason's sick of them, doesn't want anything to do with them, rather than simply moving on with his career. According to the article, that is not the case:
Although the 32-year-old won't be penning or starring in the follow-up, he hinted that he might be involved in some way.

"I'm sure I'll return in some capacity here and there, but that was half a decade of my life. Five years of hard work. I'm ready for a little puppet break," said the star.

Borples

Reaction score
I'm actually glad he's not planning on being in it. I love Jason forever for what he did for the Muppets, and I love the movie he made. But the next one needs to be something different. It's for the best if Gary was a one-movie character. I'm happy that he wanted to move on. I'd hate it if we all got sick of him after three movies or something. :smile:

As for writing...this could be good? I'm glad Nick Stoller and James Bobin are still on board (is Bobin involved in writing this time? Why am I asking; it's too early for details, isn't it? But does he write?). But I hope they also bring in a veteran Muppet writer or maybe somebody with an entirely new voice. And entirely new voice with a thorough, complete and loving understanding of the Muppets, that is. I think a writer half-shakeup could be a good thing. The next movie shouldn't be as nostalgia-driven or stuck in the TMS era.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
The next movie shouldn't be as nostalgia-driven or stuck in the TMS era.
Actually I'm still trying to figure out if that was the TMS era. The entire movie had this '80s feel that was nice but completely out of place for The Muppet Show, lol.

Borples

Reaction score
Actually I'm still trying to figure out if that was the TMS era. The entire movie had this '80s feel that was nice but completely out of place for The Muppet Show, lol.
You're right! I think Segel and I must be around the same age. *checks* Yeah, he's a little younger (how depressing), but close enough. We both grew up watching TMS reruns in the 80s.

I meant the TMS era Muppets, though. So much has happened in the Muppet world since then. Of course, like everyone, I was thrilled to see The Muppet Show back, if only for one part of one movie. Can't have everything, I guess. Movie running times are limited. Boy, do I want a new Muppet tv show. *dreams*

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
You're right! I think Segel and I must be around the same age. *checks* Yeah, he's a little younger (how depressing), but close enough. We both grew up watching TMS reruns in the 80s.
Huh, I hadn't thought of that, lol.

I meant the TMS era Muppets, though. So much has happened in the Muppet world since then.
Yeah but some of us would like to pretend that wasn't the case, hehe.