Coloring Foam

MIKEB97

Reaction score
I've been thiking. If I am unable to purchase fleece, would it be neccesary to paint th polyfoam? Would arcrilic paint work?

Scooter

Reaction score
Coloring the foam can not only look odd and be uneven but certain paints may make it "age" faster. There are other fabrics which might be used if fleece can not be found. Look around at your local fabric store to see what you might be able to use.
--Scooter--:wink:

Puppetplanet

Reaction score
If you ARE going to color/tint foam on a puppet that you do not intend to cover in fabric, this can be done in two different ways that I know of.

The foam book videos mentioned that foam is accepts dye well, it suggests that the denser (is that a word?) the foam the better the color is absorbed. The video didn't suggest any particular brand of dye, so I imagine any over the counter brand would do. Personally, I prefer RiT brand. (I've never dyed foam, but just put this info out there for anyone interested in trying it.)

Also, the foam book videos went into painting foam with spray paint. They use Design Master Brand Floral Spray paint, and I have used this method/brand as well. I had no problems with making sure the coat was even as long as I followed directions and sprayed from the suggested distance as instructions indicated on the can. The foam gets a slight stiff texture to it, but the results were great for several characters that I have done, especially when you are using the nip and tuck method and want all those creases and facial features to really stick out. (spray AFTER the puppet structure is complete, but BEFORE you put on hair/eyes... etc.)

-Michele

Scooter

Reaction score
Which videos are those? They sound very interesting and I haven't seen them. All the ones I have seen say not to dye the foam.
--Scooter-- :wink:

Buck-Beaver

Reaction score
It is OK to just paint the foam (lots of puppet builders do that) but it will not last forever and some paints do create a chemical reaction that causes foam break down faster than normal. For best results use a water-based (acrylic) spray paint. It is usually best to apply several very light coats rather than one heavy one. Even better than spray paint is an airbrush if you have access to one.

Once the puppet is painted do not repaint it at any point, aside from minor touch ups. You should also store the puppet out of sunlight (a box or bin would be good) in a cool, dry place when it's not in use to ensure its longevity.

Another option would be to dye the foam. I've never had very good results with this, but some people love this approach. The trick is to find out if your foam can be dyed (some can, some can't). Do a few tests to find out if this is an option for you.

Muppetsdownunder

Reaction score
The puppet I am planning to build is in a book I have and the foam has to be painted using spray paint. I don't know if I should cover the foam with fur on the face instead. I'm not sure what glue to use though. :smile:

Buck-Beaver

Reaction score
Most people agree that some kind contact cement is best for gluing foam together, but you have to follow the proper safety precautions if you are going to use it (you can read comments about that here). I will only use Lepage premium contact cement personally, but a lot of puppet builders prefer Barge. You can find contact cement in any good hardware store. Be sure to ask a store clerk what types of contact cement are good for gluing polyfoam together (LePage has a chart with this information on all their products).

Hot glue is much, much less toxic to work with but it is difficult to get good seams with it and it can melt under hot conditions (like under TV/stage lights) if you are not careful - though I have never actually seen that happen.