Classic Sesame on Electric Company DVD's

jeffkjoe

Reaction score
Don't have a cow about having Electric Company info posted here in this category, but in case anyone wants to see more clips featuring 1970's Big Bird and Oscar,

the new ELECTRIC COMPANY DVD box set should satisfy the nostalgic SESAME STREET fan, because in it, we get:

1) A 1973 episode in which Fargo North helps the 1973 version of Big Bird find his way back to Sesame Street (boy, did Big Bird's voice sound higher pitched!)

2) A 1975 episode that features J. Arthur Crank serenading Oscar the Grouch. Might as well, SESAME and ELECTRIC shared the same Teletape set.

Plus, there's a great interview with Joan Ganz Cooney where she talks about both ELECTRIC and SESAME.

So interesting.

A great investment - you get the PILOT episode and the FINAL episode and everything in between.

MuppetDude

Reaction score
Hmm, so Grover's skit didn't make it. Ah well. Thanks for the heads up. Hopefully this will lead to Classic SS on DVD.

Andy

Reaction score
MuppetDude said:
Hmm, so Grover's skit didn't make it. Ah well. Thanks for the heads up. Hopefully this will lead to Classic SS on DVD.
Oh, yes it did! You'll find Grover at Vi's diner on the first episode of Disc 4! It is a great scene with Grover , Vi and J. Arthur Crank. Crank actually shows a soft side with Grover. God, I love these DVD's!:big_grin:

jeffkjoe

Reaction score
Yeah, the Shout Factory REALLY did a good job with this box set. I'd rather buy this BEST OF than a season-by-season collection.

Can you imagine if Shout Factory got their hands on classic SESAME STREET?

MuppetDude

Reaction score
Wow, all 3 Muppet appearances made it. Nice.

And please don't mention the classic SS DVD's; I've already drooled enough over all the other DVD releases this year. :zany:

But SesameMike did make a nice description of the "ultimate" release that he would prefer, but I don't know which thread it was from.

BillKal

Reaction score
Yes.... this is an excellent collection. I heard also that they are in the works of releasing more TEC.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Are there any other bonus features besides the interview with Joan Ganz Cooney?

During the 1970s, there were a few crossover specials featuring the casts of Sesame Street and The Electric Company. I wonder how feasible it would be to include those specials on future sets (I'm assuming that none of them are included in this set, or otherwise it would have been mentioned here). These specials are so rare that very few hardcore fans even know anything about them.

SesameMike

Reaction score
Was this the thread you were referring to, MuppetDude?

Minor Muppetz: of those TV specials you were referring to, there was this one prime-time special in about 1974 that featured some of the Muppet characters. One such scene had Kermit trying to convince Grover to ride on a motorcyle and jump over something (a la Evel Kneivel and the Snake River Canyon). "...cute little Grover will get all smashed." (Kermit got on the motorbike and revved it up to show Grover how it was done; he eventually wound up in a tree.)

minor muppetz

Reaction score
SesameMike said:
Minor Muppetz: of those TV specials you were referring to, there was this one prime-time special in about 1974 that featured some of the Muppet characters. One such scene had Kermit trying to convince Grover to ride on a motorcyle and jump over something (a la Evel Kneivel and the Snake River Canyon). "...cute little Grover will get all smashed." (Kermit got on the motorbike and revved it up to show Grover how it was done; he eventually wound up in a tree.)
I guess that must have been the Out To Lunch special, but I don't know for sure. I've read about another special called The Grover Monster/ Jean Marsh Cartoon Special, featuring animated segments from both shows.

mjb1124

Reaction score
While we're on the subject of SS/TEC crossovers - are there any segments that were seen on both shows? I've seen some people claim that the pinball numbers were seen on TEC, but somehow I doubt that, because from what I've gathered, TEC generally didn't cover numbers. However, there definitely are some TEC segments that would've fit in just fine on SS (the "Sign Song" comes to mind).